Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dogs with social problems?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Dogs with social problems?

Advertisements
    Our dog DC has severe social problems, and he lives with another dog and a cat.

He gets extremely upset, nervous and starts barking and attacks another dog if it comes near him (on the street or at like petsmart!). We're so reluctant to take him out because of it. He is okay with people, he actually loves people and children

How do you deal with it if your dog has social problems?

Thank you!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    How old is he? Once they get to a certain age that is pretty much how they will always be. My Dalmatian I had when I was younger was awesome with my family and my cat but anyone else, any other animals she would freak. We just couldn't take her places where there were lots of people or other dogs around, it sucked but that's just the way it was. We tried socializing her but it never worked with dogs, some people she would get used to and be fine but dogs
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Yeah I just can't take my dogs out to like beaches and stuff cause if another dog runs up to him out of nowhere, he starts to panic. He is fine at vets, and I can take him to petsmart but I have to be careful cause people wanna run up and PET THE DOGGY. and well they should be able to, but my dog gets scared...so its hard to socialize them when they're scared and anxious and people or other dogs maul them.

even when I get people to watch him now, I have to be careful and it takes a week of them coming over with me home before he's comfortable.

The doggy antidepressants my vet put him on did help though. lol
  4. Senior Member
    You really need some good training for him. Learn how to get him to watch you...and keep him focused with treats etc to distract him from the elements that make him act up. I would suggest looking into a class in your area that deals with these types of behaviors.
  5. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    It sounds like you need to get him in with a good trainer. You have to take baby steps when taking him into situations that upset him. The minute he starts to look stressed, take him home. I would really suggest a trainer to help you with his issues.
    I have six dogs myself, one with pretty bad fear aggression, which makes him go after strange dogs and bark at people he doesn't know. We've been working with him for a long time, and though he's much better with people, he will never be okay with strange dogs. He is fine with the 5 other dogs he lives with, but take him to the dog park and he turns into cujo. I've come to accept the fact that this is just the way he is and that he can go on walks, but that's the extent of outside socialization he can handle.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Thank you all! we had him in obedience classes last summer, I think we will start those up again.

He is 3.