Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Feeding dogs separately

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Feeding dogs separately

Advertisements
    How many of you with multiple dogs have to feed them separately, not because one is aggressive but because one is such a pig that the other would starve to death?

Stormy eats SO fast and everything in sight. I have to feed her and Emmie separately so that Emmie is able to actually get food.
  2. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    lol no I feed mine at the same time but if one inches near the others food, they get theirs taken away. They're pretty good about just eating out of their bowl though because they're both kinda piggy
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    My mom does
  4. I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    I Can See Clearly Now....The S**T Is Gone
    yup katie would eat max's food if we didn't feed them seperately...she's a pig and acts like we starve her yet she looks like such a fatty
  5. Senior Member
    Nope. Ours are trained to eat out of their own bowls and only their own bowls. While neither of them is food aggressive, and we can take their food from them and put our hands in it at any point we wish, I don't want either of them trying to push the other one out of the way for food. We started when Tito was a new puppy in our home in teaching him that it was not acceptable to try to eat Sampson's food.
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Lindsey View Post
    yup katie would eat max's food if we didn't feed them seperately...she's a pig and acts like we starve her yet she looks like such a fatty

That is Stormy She's thinned out now that we have her on good food and I feed her the correct amount, but she eats enough and acts like we are trying to starve her. She is starting to get to the point where she knows to keep away from Emmie's bowl, but I still don't trust her completely yet
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    Nope. Ours are trained to eat out of their own bowls and only their own bowls. While neither of them is food aggressive, and we can take their food from them and put our hands in it at any point we wish, I don't want either of them trying to push the other one out of the way for food. We started when Tito was a new puppy in our home in teaching him that it was not acceptable to try to eat Sampson's food.
    Yah, I do the same thing with mine with putting my hands in front of them while they eating.

I think the issue is that Stormy is a 75+ lb lab and Emmie is a 6lb Havachon. If their bowls are near eachother Emmie will just step aside and let Stormy have at it.
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Yah, I do the same thing with mine with putting my hands in front of them while they eating.

I think the issue is that Stormy is a 75+ lb lab and Emmie is a 6lb Havachon. If their bowls are near eachother Emmie will just step aside and let Stormy have at it.
    The size of the dogs shouldn't matter. When Tito was a 12 week old pup, and Sampson, the German Shepherd, was already fully grown at 75lbs, the size and dominance factor still did not stop us from keeping either of them out of the other's food bowl. My family has had large and small dogs together as well, and it was never an issue. When a bigger dog starts pushing a little dog out of the way, they get corrected and we start over. Their food gets taken away and we start again. It's always worked great for us.
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by jen1982 View Post
    The size of the dogs shouldn't matter. When Tito was a 12 week old pup, and Sampson, the German Shepherd, was already fully grown at 75lbs, the size and dominance factor still did not stop us from keeping either of them out of the other's food bowl. My family has had large and small dogs together as well, and it was never an issue. When a bigger dog starts pushing a little dog out of the way, they get corrected and we start over. Their food gets taken away and we start again. It's always worked great for us.

Yah, see Stormy has never pushed her out of the way, Emmie just lets her go

I do think Stormy knows to leave Emmie's bowl alone now because sometimes Emmie doesn't finish it and Stormy will walk right by it and not touch it. I still keep them separate in case though