Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Horse People

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Advertisements
    i had a horse for my entire life essentially, & honestly, it wasn't until i was independent with the horse that i really feel like i learned anything. i would wait until about 8-10ish. you don't wanna lease, you just wanna get weekly lessons. when you lease, the animal is practically all yours. talk to dani. she gives lessons & does leases & the like.
  2. Junior Member
    I started riding as soon as I could get on a horse! I was 4 at the time but I had to wait till I was tall enough to ride, so I didn't get to start till I was 5. I have been on a horse since then, and my parents say they would do it all again. It teaches you so much! Leasing a horse is a big thing (I didn't lease till I was 14). Start out with lessons and see how it goes..that would be my best suggestion....some kids love it and some grow out of it. But I can say if you have been bitten by the "horse bug" as my mom calls it ....your in it for life .
  3. Nikolai is here!!
    Nikolai is here!!
    To lease a horse I would make sure he has had lessons first. And its really up to the owner. Ii have been riding for as long as I can remember, so has DH. IF the owner is willing to get a 4yr old lease a horse then do it!!
    Gearing up for deployment #2
  4. He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    He's my popeye, but I'mnoOliveOyl!
    I was on horses from the time I could sit up well... there are pics of me in a diaper on the horses at the ranch. Starting him as early as possible is best.. I got my first one very very young (I was younger than Cam is now).. I had a paint shetland, named Puzzle.

Well, I'm what I am and I'm what I'm not
    and I'm sure happy with what Iíve got
    I live to love and laugh alot
    and thatís all I need

5. Proud Seabee wife!
    Proud Seabee wife!
    Belle is already on horses now and I am hoping by this summer we will have her riding around with help. Our friends daughter started riding on her own at 3 and showing by age 5.
    Yes ask Dani you should get into one of her horses.
  6. Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Casadorra View Post
    To lease a horse I would make sure he has had lessons first. And its really up to the owner. Ii have been riding for as long as I can remember, so has DH. IF the owner is willing to get a 4yr old lease a horse then do it!!
    I totally agree with Casadorra. Especially the bolded part. Let him take his first lesson to make sure he enjoys it. Having a horse is a lot of work. And leasing one is almost like owning it. If you already have horse knowledge yourself then it will be a lot easier. Try to find some books about horses if you don't know.
    Heather
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I started riding when I was 6 got my first pony when I was 8 years old(Hunters...then 3 day when I was in High school and then Jumpers and Dressage in College).
    Honestly I don't know if you need to lease but the choice is yours. I would think lessons would do the trick. Leasing entails lots of extra cost if you like the pony then just see if you can do lessons and make sure your child likes it enough to lease the pony.

Note: make sure your child likes the trainer bc normally with a lease you have to stick to whatever trainer is at that barn.

Make sure the saddle the leased pony comes with fits your child. I leased some of my horses out for the summer and I did not mind saddle changes but it HAD to fit my horse properly. Also of course I recommend buying a helmet not borrowing one.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12