Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A dog who has allergies!?

1. Senior Member

Confused A dog who has allergies!?

Advertisements
    So I've pretty much come to the conclusion that my golden retriever has allergies. Only when it's spring time and I notice my allergies I notice hers too. She has runny itchy eyes (she'll come up to you just to rub and itch her eyes on you), her ears which luckily stay so nice the rest of the year get all gross and yucky and her skin gets super dry and itchy. I've tried a special spray for her skin but it def. doesn't work, I feel bad for her because her skin is all cut up from being dry and scratching so much. I'm about to use my lotion on her. Any ideas?

2. Member
    My doggy gets benadryl. Ask your vet for the appropriate dosage for your pup
    DH ~ I did inventory, you have my heart, Killy has my DNA, and the army has my body.
    Wifey to Fashionista

3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Bathe her as little as possible and when you do use Oatmeal shampoo. Other than that you should probably take her to the vet so they cna decide what to do for her. I'd suggest looking at her food, but if you're certain that it only happens in the spring then you're probably right about the seasonal allergies.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
  5. bend...and snap!
    bend...and snap!
    Ask your vet about giving her benadryl and putting fish oil in her food. That's what mine gets!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Our cocker spaniels when I was growing up had bad allergies to ragweed and human dander (they were allergic to us!!). We had to give one of them shots once a week to help her and an oatmeal soap to give her baths in to soothe the itching.

However, I have heard a lot of people say their vet has suggested Benadryl. A friend of mine with a schnauzer gives hers half a tablet. Check with the vet and they can tell you if it is a good idea and how much to give a golden retriever.
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We gave our dog Benedryl as well.
  8. Senior Member
    Thanks ladies. I've had to give our other dog benedryl before because she got bit by fire ants and is allergic but I wasn't sure if it's a safe as like a daily thing. I'm waiting on the vet to call me back right now.

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by sunofabeach85 View Post
    Thanks ladies. I've had to give our other dog benedryl before because she got bit by fire ants and is allergic but I wasn't sure if it's a safe as like a daily thing. I'm waiting on the vet to call me back right now.
    Our vet told us it was ok to give it daily, as long as it wasn't all year round. He said for seasonal use, it was fine.
    Just ask him about the dosage though, because it all depends on weight.
  10. *
    Quote Originally Posted by 68Wife View Post
    My doggy gets benadryl. Ask your vet for the appropriate dosage for your pup
    Quote Originally Posted by Roboto View Post
    Ask your vet about giving her benadryl and putting fish oil in her food. That's what mine gets!
    My Jack Russell has HORRIBLE allergies. She's even allergic to grass. Anyway, we give her Benadryl and we feed her this special food that has fish oil in it. It smells gross but has helped her SO much. I'll find out the name...my mom got it off the internet (it was recommended by her vet).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast