Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Introducing Puppies to Older Dog

1. Senior Member

Introducing Puppies to Older Dog

Advertisements
    I'm freaking out... We have thought long and hard about getting puppies. We sought a lot of advice and really thought it would be ok. **Sorry this is a little longer than I intended it to be!**

I have an 9 yr old male dachshund who was rescued from a very abusive situation. I've had him for about 4 years now, and he has either been with me (living alone) or with my parents and their other 3 dachshund's (while I was out of the country and when I first got married and moved). He is fine until he feels "cornered" or fearful or gets protective of me - be it a person or an animal. He has missed the other three dogs a lot since we moved out and seems to do much better having companions.

We brought the puppies home last night and there was a little snarling, but no actual snapping. It was late so we basically crated the puppies after a little bit of setting up and then we all went to bed - the dachshund sleeping with us.

This morning we had a good 30 minutes where my husband and I were on the floor with the dachshund free and each of us had a puppy. There was no snarling from the dachshund at all and he just sniffed each puppy and wanted me to pet him.

We crated the puppies again and took the dachshund with us to the pet store to get a few puppy essentials. All was well for basically the rest of the day. We had a calm afternoon and tried to rest.

Tonight after dinner, we tried to introduce the dogs again. We let the puppies come into the living room and let the dachshund wander a bit. My husband then let one of puppies down and this time there was a quick snarl, followed by snapping. We immediately stopped and separated the dogs.

No one was hurt. I want to emphasize that 1000 times. But I for one was shook up, as was my husband. Obviously, I know to keep them apart until they get along. They will NEVER be left unsupervised together at all, ever. I strongly believe in crate training for alone times during the day and sleeping times at night.

I know no one can really predict what will happen, but am I just hoping for too much too soon? I want to do what is best for my older guy AND for the new little ones - including finding them another home if that is necessary (the little ones). Should we just give it more time? How much time?

I think overall my mama-bear protective instinct over my older guy is just kicking into gear big time. He is my best friend and he and I have been through SO much together in the last 4 years. I want him to deal with all of this ok and yet I want to be able to have the puppies as well because my husband has always wanted to have bigger dogs to be his companions.

If you got through this, thanks for listening!
  2. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    I would give it some more time... it's all really new still and soon to make any huge decisions like finding the pups new homes. Give it some more time, and keep supervising, I hope it works out for you
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Julianne View Post
    I would give it some more time... it's all really new still and soon to make any huge decisions like finding the pups new homes. Give it some more time, and keep supervising, I hope it works out for you
    Thanks! I hope it works out too... it WILL work out in the end - even if we have to find new homes. We just want whats best for everyone involved and to not be selfish just because we wanted new fur-babies. Thank you! I need to calm down and re-approach things tomorrow... I'm just overwhelmed!
  4. Trophy Wife in Training
    Trophy Wife in Training
    I have a doxie too... and I know how they can be sometimes