Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunny Owners?

1. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)

Bunny Owners?

Advertisements
    DH and I have submitted an application to adopt a pair of bunnies from the Colorado House Rabbit Society... waiting to hear back on that. In the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as I can about bunnies!

My major question is what do your bunnies live in? I know there are lots of possibilities for housing bunnies, and we're trying to decide what is going to work best for us.

Any advice? Pictures of your bunny homes? Anything other wisdom to share? I am super excited at the thought of having bunnies, and would love to hear anything you'd like to tell me! Thanks
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  2. Senior Member
    I went to Target and bought a could of those wire cage things and built my own bunny condo.

And they can be trained to use a litterbox.
  3. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    Quote Originally Posted by helloimkaley View Post
    I went to Target and bought a could of those wire cage things and built my own bunny condo.

And they can be trained to use a litterbox.
    Do you mind me asking about how much it cost you to do it that way? And do you mean the wire storage cube things, or something different?

& to the bolded: I think that is one of the coolest things ever.... because I was like... I am not letting a bunny run around and poo on my carpet! Then I read that, and was probably a little too excited, lol. DH thinks I'm a little strange.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  4. Junior Member
    I had bunnies for a good part of my childhood till I was about 15. We use to keep them outside, I lived in Ohio, so the winters were cold. But they loved it out there. We had darf bunnies. I would suggest going to a libaray and getting books on bunnies and keeping them. Thats what we did and there are all kinds of indoor and outdoor cage options! Enjoy them, bunnies are so much fun. I loved the baby ones we had, they were like little fuzz balls
  5. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    Quote Originally Posted by RainierLT87 View Post
    I had bunnies for a good part of my childhood till I was about 15. We use to keep them outside, I lived in Ohio, so the winters were cold. But they loved it out there. We had darf bunnies. I would suggest going to a libaray and getting books on bunnies and keeping them. Thats what we did and there are all kinds of indoor and outdoor cage options! Enjoy them, bunnies are so much fun. I loved the baby ones we had, they were like little fuzz balls
    Oh yes, they are going to be inside bunnies for sure. The place we're trying to adopt them through actually specifies that you HAVE to keep them inside.
    I'm hoping for dwarfs, or at least small-ish bunnies. But really it comes down to which ones are sweetest. Once we hear back on the application, I think DH and I will take a trip to the shelter to check out all the bunnies... we've already been browsing online... it's too fun.

Does anyone know any good books about bunnies? I've found good info online, but a book might be better, and maybe I could get DH to read it too.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  6. Mrs. Powell
    Mrs. Powell
    we have a big wire cage with the litter box inside. we let our bunny out every morning and all evening long when we are all home and he comes out and hangs with us chilaxin ... even if he does poop somewhere other than his box its not nasty or smelly or hard to clean up so nuthin to stress over... usually he just goes in the box though... he is a super pet to have just remember that you will have to "bunny proof" you house bc bunnies like to CHEW THINGS.. like cords, books, papers of any kind.. WOOD... so you will need to put that kind of stuff out of their reach so they can run free
    i love my hunni bunni
  7. Junior Member
    We did litter train our bunnies, it works really well! Dwarfs are the sweetest, they would put up with all the little kids like troopers . Don't worry, with all pets you can read all you want, but theres nothing like that hands on expereince, I had it with both the bunnies and the horse. Horses were way more challenging .
  8. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    I totally missed this! I know you got your buns already, what did you decide to put them in ? I have homemade cube cages for all my fuzzballs, I'd be happy to share pics of them if you'd like any ideas .

How's it going with them by the way?
  9. (i carry it in my heart)
    (i carry it in my heart)
    Quote Originally Posted by sdshorty View Post
    I totally missed this! I know you got your buns already, what did you decide to put them in ? I have homemade cube cages for all my fuzzballs, I'd be happy to share pics of them if you'd like any ideas .

How's it going with them by the way?

We ended up getting a wire dog crate - the HRS recommended it. We found it on craigslist for cheap, which was a plus!

I'd love to see pics of your cages though - I am not in love with the dog crate, and we have some wire cubes that we may not be using for storage in the future, that would be a fun way to recycle them!

It's going pretty well - they are super curious and friendly! I was so distracted all day, I got almost nothing done! Mark, the boy, has not been using the litter box though - when we let him out he goes on the carpet. Do you know if that's just an adjustment thing? Cleo, the girl, has been perfect about always using the litter box.
    Oh, hey. I'm back!
  10. La Xicana
    La Xicana
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by icarryyourheart View Post
    We ended up getting a wire dog crate - the HRS recommended it. We found it on craigslist for cheap, which was a plus!

I'd love to see pics of your cages though - I am not in love with the dog crate, and we have some wire cubes that we may not be using for storage in the future, that would be a fun way to recycle them!

It's going pretty well - they are super curious and friendly! I was so distracted all day, I got almost nothing done! Mark, the boy, has not been using the litter box though - when we let him out he goes on the carpet. Do you know if that's just an adjustment thing? Cleo, the girl, has been perfect about always using the litter box.
    Cool I'll post some tonight . If Mark was litterbox trained before and is going on the carpet now, then yes, he's a little stressed about a new environment. My suggestion would be to put multiple litterboxes around the areas he's allowed to roam. if he never has a litterbox too far away, it will encourage him to jump in and go
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast