Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok puppy experts...I need some help.

1. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥

Help Ok puppy experts...I need some help.

Advertisements
    When we first got Meesha, she was just completely terrified of dogs! I would walk her twice a day to get her used to her environment and noises outside, but the second we passed a dog, she would do this whine where it sounds like I am killing her. It was so sad to watch how scared she was. Then, I got her socialized with my neighbor's dog. She has an older husky and they are now best friends. They walk everyday together. I have also socialized her with more dogs...those who are willing to stop on their walks and play for a bit.

Well now Meesha is 4 months old and completely comfortable with dogs. The thing is, every time we pass one now, instead of whining, it's a horrible, DEEP MANLY, vicious-like bark! The hair on her neck stands straight up! When people pass us, they assume she is trouble, when really, I know all she wants to do is sniff and play. She would not harm their dog.

Anyway, I have tried all that I know. I bring little treats with me to try to distract her from barking. If we pass a dog, I will whip out the treats and tell her to sit and lay down, anything to keep her attention on me. It worked very well for a while, but now she cares more about the dog than the treats. I even mixed up the treats so it wasn't the same one all the time. I have tried to simply tell her no, calm down, grab her mouth and make her look me in the eyes while I am saying no. Still nothing.

Does anyone have any advice? Or is this something that she will never break of? I honestly don't mind the barking so much; I can live with it. But I don't want people thinking my dog is this vicious creature that wants to hurt them when really all she wants to do is play

2. Banned
    Banned
    well im not a expert at all but i saw someone on tv that when their dog would bark or try to bite another dog, she would shake a bottle of rocks at her. the noise of it made her stop quickly and over time worked. i haven't tried but thought i would at least let you know
  3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by inlove4life View Post
    well im not a expert at all but i saw someone on tv that when their dog would bark or try to bite another dog, she would shake a bottle of rocks at her. the noise of it made her stop quickly and over time worked. i haven't tried but thought i would at least let you know
    That is something that Meesha would be interested in too. Thanks I seriously may try that. I'll take any advice I can get at this point.

4. Banned
    Banned
    i found the idea funny too but apparently it is supposed to scare them so that they don't want to bark anymore
  5. Transfusion Service Tech
    Transfusion Service Tech
    We use a milk jug with coins at my dads to stop the dogs from barking in the house sometimes.
  6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Peekaboo2487 View Post
    We use a milk jug with coins at my dads to stop the dogs from barking in the house sometimes.
    Same concept with the rocks! Ok girls this may just work Thanks

Any other advice?

7. Banned
    Banned
    seal it tight so the rocks don't come flying in your face
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

You giving her the treats to distract her from barking was making her think you were rewarding her for it. Just like the people who pet their dogs and hush them gently when they are barking or being aggressive toward people or dogs, they are just rewarding the bahvaior. When she does it pull her back/away from them and tell her "no" or "stop" firm and loud.
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I'm not an expert, but I have been through a lot of training classes and with a German Shepherd who loves to bark too! One of the best things you can do is simply to ignore the behavior and walk a different direction with the dog. Any attention while the barking is going on is going to hamper learning to simply ignore another dog/walker/passerby. If you can keep going the way you were walking and don't reassure or treat your pup, eventually the barking will stop. This way, you're in charge of whether she is allowed to react to someone passing by.

A great thing to do is get a friend with a dog to walk by you on the street and to practice over and over and over and over again. May seem crazy at first, but consistency is key for a learned behavior to set in.

Hope this helps, and btw SHE'S SO CUTE!
    Last edited by IowaAFGirlfriend; 04-04-2009 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Sorry, I'm horrible at calling dogs the wrong gender. :)
  10. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    You giving her the treats to distract her from barking was making her think you were rewarding her for it. Just like the people who pet their dogs and hush them gently when they are barking or being aggressive toward people or dogs, they are just rewarding the bahvaior. When she does it pull her back/away from them and tell her "no" or "stop" firm and loud.
    I didn't give her the treat when she was barking. I gave it to her when she would sit for me, lay down, give paw, ect. I was trying to distract her from barking. When she did bark, I just kept trying to distract her. One of my girlfriends with a GSD actually told me that's what she did with hers, but it's not working with Meesha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast