Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Traveling!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Help Traveling!

Advertisements
    So I am going to see DB...he lives in Gulfport,MS and I live in Texas, so it is going to be a long drive.... hours to be exact! lol I didnt take my pit bull with me with me for homecoming, but I am definetly taking her with me this time, because I missed her like crazy when I had to leave! So here is my question.....how can I keep her calm and from getting car sick on my long journey! I am putting her in her seat belt and I am taking her pillow, but she starts to whine when we get half way to my parents house which is only 30 mins away!!! WHat to do...what to do...what to do??? lol

I love him forever and always!!!
  2. Am
    Does she usually get carsick? Flounder never has issues with that. He's best behaved if I take a couple of his favorite toys and lay a blanket over the seat for him. He's pretty entertained that way for most of a 5 hour drive. Sometimes, towards the end, he'll whine if he needs to stop for a pee break.

Depending on your car, you could use a barrier and let him roam the "trunk" space.
  3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    we took 2 lab mixes 2000 miles cross country to California. It suuuuuuuuucked. My dog has seizures so he's already on barbituates to control that and hes still hyper as heck. I benadryled my other dog but after three hours or so they'd start panting like CRAZY. I'd give them water and take them out but it was sooo hectic. I'm glad df made the drive with me. Take a gallon of water from your own house...I've heard new water can also make dogs sick if they're not used to it and my dog had explosive diarrhea all over my car. We stopped someplace in california and it was the desert with absolutely no grass....my dog refused to go to the bathroom. We hopped back on the highway and twenty minutes later he's whimpering and crying like crazy. Of course in some areas of california...they're eeeempty. We continued for twenty more minutes trying to find an exit anywhere to pull over...and just when a sign said 1 mile exit...dog explodes in my back seat. I was miss Kara cranky pants for the rest of that day. Its hard traveling long distances with dogs sometimes.
  4. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    We knock our dogs out with dramamine anytime they go in the car. Otherwise they freak out and start puking.
    omnomnommynom
  5. I can work the google on the internet machine!
    I can work the google on the internet machine!
    Depending on where you are in Tx depends on how long it is going to be of a drive... I have driven Huntsville Tx to Starkville MS in about 12-13 hours... We left at like 4am and got there about 4 or 5pm.... have you googled the directions?
    Control is an illusion, you infantile egomaniac. Nobody knows what's gonna happen next: not on a freeway, not in an airplane, not inside our own bodies and certainly not on a racetrack with 40 other infantile egomaniacs.- Days of Thunder(Nicole Kidman)
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shellbellwillis View Post
    Depending on where you are in Tx depends on how long it is going to be of a drive... I have driven Huntsville Tx to Starkville MS in about 12-13 hours... We left at like 4am and got there about 4 or 5pm.... have you googled the directions?
    Yea I have been there before just not with the dog! Its about 7 hrs!

7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
    We knock our dogs out with dramamine anytime they go in the car. Otherwise they freak out and start puking.
    You can give them that and if so how much do u give them??

8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mixpix45 View Post
    we took 2 lab mixes 2000 miles cross country to California. It suuuuuuuuucked. My dog has seizures so he's already on barbituates to control that and hes still hyper as heck. I benadryled my other dog but after three hours or so they'd start panting like CRAZY. I'd give them water and take them out but it was sooo hectic. I'm glad df made the drive with me. Take a gallon of water from your own house...I've heard new water can also make dogs sick if they're not used to it and my dog had explosive diarrhea all over my car. We stopped someplace in california and it was the desert with absolutely no grass....my dog refused to go to the bathroom. We hopped back on the highway and twenty minutes later he's whimpering and crying like crazy. Of course in some areas of california...they're eeeempty. We continued for twenty more minutes trying to find an exit anywhere to pull over...and just when a sign said 1 mile exit...dog explodes in my back seat. I was miss Kara cranky pants for the rest of that day. Its hard traveling long distances with dogs sometimes.
    OMGOSH thats horrible!!! i am so sorry girlie!

9. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rdudley88 View Post
    You can give them that and if so how much do u give them??
    Our husky is 80+ pounds and he takes 2 at first, and if its a long trip we'll usually give him 1 more later. It just makes him sleepy, not actually passed out. I would call the vet and ask them for the right dosage based on your pup's weight.
    omnomnommynom
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thanks!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast