Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: I feel like she is regressing

1. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.

I feel like she is regressing

Advertisements
    I feel like Lucy ( my dog) is regressing. She is only 4, and the last few weeks she has been a complete terror. She has started chewing on stuff ( my shoes, the rug), digging in the back yard, and today she peed in the house. She has been broken of all those things for years now. I think it might have something to do with DF being gone, but I don't know how to break her habits. I spend tons of time with her, take her for walks, to the dog park, and down to the beach. She always has plenty to eat, but she is still doing this. Any ideas???
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  2. Senior Member
    maybe she is? What kind of dog is she?? I have a Luci too, she is a mini-doxie and when she was 2-3 she was a terror... but its a very common thing for doxies to regress back to puppy-hood when they are 2-3 because they are going through their "teenage" years. Thats what the vet said.

Are there changes going on? Like moving or are you pregnant. Animals can pick up on all that stuff, and usually act out.
  3. Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Lifes hard... get a helmet.
    Quote Originally Posted by kimly View Post
    maybe she is? What kind of dog is she?? I have a Luci too, she is a mini-doxie and when she was 2-3 she was a terror... but its a very common thing for doxies to regress back to puppy-hood when they are 2-3 because they are going through their "teenage" years. Thats what the vet said.

Are there changes going on? Like moving or are you pregnant. Animals can pick up on all that stuff, and usually act out.
    She is a lab/pit mix.And is typically an angel, but lately... not so much. The only change is Tim being deployed, but he's been gone for over a month and these things are just now popping up.
    Please Remember to follow OPSEC!!!

Life is hard.... Wear a helmet
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i've been going through the same thing with buddy. there are even teeth marks in dh's military id because of him. he'd be pottying in the house like mad too. so, we've removed everything he can/might chew on, and when he's out of his kennel during the day, there's a gate blocking the kitchen and one blocking the hallway (the places he likes to sneak off to go potty)

for him i think it was the fact he hadn't really left the house in almost 3 months (he had back issues, was on kennel rest almost 2 months, then waited another month to take him back to day care) i was afraid to walk him cause the night his back flared up again and put him in his kennel rest i had walked him.

so we went on some walks and got him out of the house. he's doing better now. but it sounds like you're doing that with lucy. you're keeping her busy as best you can. do you have any of tim's clothes that haven't been washed? maybe something that smells like him? maybe that'll make her feel better.

best of luck to you!

ETA: just saw he's been gone for a month now--gwen went though a little "depression" after dh had been gone for a month. she was use to him being gone, but not that long. and i know, dogs have no real sense of time but it was seriously like she realized he wasn't come home any time soon. after a while, she got out of her little funk, but it was really sad to see.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by dotb182 View Post
    She is a lab/pit mix.And is typically an angel, but lately... not so much. The only change is Tim being deployed, but he's been gone for over a month and these things are just now popping up.
    Maybe she just realized he is going to be gone a while. If he's left before for shorter amounts of time she probably just thought he was coming back but now she has realized he isn't. I hope you figure it out though!!