Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Better than a Kong?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Better than a Kong?

Advertisements
    It takes my dog minutes to get things out of her kong. I bought a smaller one thinking it would be harder, but it still takes her like no time at all. I even went as far as to put her kong, in another toy, and then in a old stuffed animal... it took her just over 5 minutes to figure it out!

She isn't chewing through things, she's just out smarting them. I'd love to find a toy that will keep her occupied for more than a few minutes. I thought the kong would be that toy, but I was wrong. Anyone have a tip for a different toy or something else to try?
  2. ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    ive put peanut butter in my dogs kong and it keeps him occupied for hours trying to get it all out
  3. missing him
    missing him
    Quote Originally Posted by smithswifey View Post
    ive put peanut butter in my dogs kong and it keeps him occupied for hours trying to get it all out
    I've done that too. But it doesn't seem to take him long to lick it all out of there.
    I've found a bone that walmart carries. Its a dental bone. My rott can demolish a rawhide bone in a matter of hours. He keeps the hard plastic/nylabone around for days.
  4. ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    Quote Originally Posted by militaryprincess View Post
    I've done that too. But it doesn't seem to take him long to lick it all out of there.
    I've found a bone that walmart carries. Its a dental bone. My rott can demolish a rawhide bone in a matter of hours. He keeps the hard plastic/nylabone around for days.

oh trust me, mine detroys everything...if it has a squeaker in it the life span is cut in half. the kong is now his longest lasting toy in the house thats still in one piece! he loves the pig ears too, but those are devoured in less than 5 mins! but i pack some of the peanut butter all the way to the top of it so he cant really get his tongue in that far to get it all out.

oh and OP maybe try to find a really big bone...i got mine a "mammouth bone" about 2 weeks ago and hes still working on it. best investment on a bone yet, other little rawhide ones are gone in a day and cost like $15 for a 4 pack, this mammouth one cost me $10!!
  5. Senior Member
    oh trust me, mine detroys everything...if it has a squeaker in it the life span is cut in half. the kong is now his longest lasting toy in the house thats still in one piece! he loves the pig ears too, but those are devoured in less than 5 mins! but i pack some of the peanut butter all the way to the top of it so he cant really get his tongue in that far to get it all out.

oh and OP maybe try to find a really big bone...i got mine a "mammouth bone" about 2 weeks ago and hes still working on it. best investment on a bone yet, other little rawhide ones are gone in a day and cost like $15 for a 4 pack, this mammouth one cost me $10!!
    Yes to the mammoth bones. My dog had one of those (and she KILLS everything) and it took her forever to kill that thing. I loved it.
    Peanut butter is pretty good, but doesn't keep her too occupied.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

put peanut butter and treats in the kong and freeze it. That'll keep the dog occupied longer.
  7. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Peanut butter only last a few minutes too. She's got like a super duper tongue or something! Haha

Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    put peanut butter and treats in the kong and freeze it. That'll keep the dog occupied longer.
    I've tried freezing other treats in there.. but I'll try the frozen peanut butter and she if it works.
  8. Senior Member
    That's what we do. I mix up peanut butter and treats in a bowl and put it in the kong and freeze it.
  9. Senior Member
    I didn't think to freeze it. So smart...I'll try that for my doggy