Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: NC puppymill bill

1. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.

NC puppymill bill

Advertisements
    There is a new bill in the house and senate in NC to regulate the conditions in commercial kennels . . aka, puppy mills. There are currently NO laws in NC to regulate these conditions. Please watch the video in the link below and if you live in NC, please contact your legislators to let them know you support these bills!

http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p...edium=text_url
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    That video made me cry.

3. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    People are planning rallies in support of the bills so one of the volunteer from the rescue I work with made this for that reason. We had 10 french bulldogs come out of a mill in NC a few years ago. They had to be fostered at undisclosed locations for a few years b/c the millers that got busted were violent and threatening the prosecutor in the case. They were in horrible shape. There is also a puppymill bill being introduced in Texas soon. We just passed two bills here in PA. The people that treat these animals so horrendously all deserve to rot in hell. Actually, hell is too good for them.
    Thanks for checking it out!
  4. Banned
    Banned
    What really gets me is that there seems to be a huge misconception over what puppymilling really is. Many people think that puppy mills are ONLY those where the dogs are kept in horrible, dirty conditions. In fact, I was appalled one morning to see a feature on - I THINK - CBS Sunday Morning about this "amazing, high tech, state of the art" facility that was being featured in a story about designer breeds (puggles, bugs, etc). They were touting this breeder and his facility when, in fact, he was a high dollar puppy mill. The dogs were in row upon row of cages, stacked three or four high in a giant, admittedly clean/nice, warehouse building. There was no provision for exercise, no human contact beyond feeding, etc. Yet this was being painted as the best thing since sliced bread in the world of dog breeding. It made me sick. This facility was only better than the usual image of a "puppy mill" in that the dogs were not living in their own filth, but that, imo, was not that big of a "plus".
  5. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    What really gets me is that there seems to be a huge misconception over what puppymilling really is. Many people think that puppy mills are ONLY those where the dogs are kept in horrible, dirty conditions. In fact, I was appalled one morning to see a feature on - I THINK - CBS Sunday Morning about this "amazing, high tech, state of the art" facility that was being featured in a story about designer breeds (puggles, bugs, etc). They were touting this breeder and his facility when, in fact, he was a high dollar puppy mill. The dogs were in row upon row of cages, stacked three or four high in a giant, admittedly clean/nice, warehouse building. There was no provision for exercise, no human contact beyond feeding, etc. Yet this was being painted as the best thing since sliced bread in the world of dog breeding. It made me sick. This facility was only better than the usual image of a "puppy mill" in that the dogs were not living in their own filth, but that, imo, was not that big of a "plus".
    I totally agree . . both situations are WRONG. While trying to put an end to puppy mills we also encourage people to ADOPT, period. Unless you are breeding to show dogs and better the breed you work with, there is no reason to breed dogs at all. There are good breeders out there, but few and far between. There is absolutely no reason for there to ever be any mass breeding facilities and/or commercial kennels. There are hundreds of thousands of animals that are euthanized every year because of the astronomical number homeless animals are out there. It's disgraceful. The bills in NC and TX, like the one in PA, would help put in place stricter rules for commercial breeders, where the animals would have to get a certain amount of outdoor exercise, clean cages, no stacked cages, access to fresh water, etc. I'm not as familiar with the upcoming bills as I am with the one in PA, because I live in PA and lobbied for those. What I can say is that we have to start somewhere . . there a lot of commercial kennels shutting down here in PA now because they don't want to comply with the new laws. Also, there is a class action lawsuit against the Petland chain of pet stores (they are the absolute worst) and the Hunte Corporation, which is a puppy broker that supplies mill dogs to Petland and other pet stores across the country. They are all being investigated, finally. Okay, off my soapbox now . . sorry. This is something I am very passionate about and very involved in.
    Thanks for the info on the show you saw. I'm going to try to find it online. Good point to make, you're right, not every puppy mill is what people imagine them looking like. It just helps make a point in the video when you see some of the disgusting images from the worst ones. Those are the things that get people's attention and that's what is needed to start educating anyone who will listen to help push these bills through!
  6. Love Me, Love My Dog
    Love Me, Love My Dog
    Blog Entries
    while on R&R I had to explain to DB what a puppy mill was, he had no idea, this is a sore topic for me b/c here in Missouri there is nothing being done to the people that get caught they just take their dogs away and start up somewhere else...I think the punishment should be a much harsher penalty! My heart aches for all those puppies in puppy mills...

I got wifeys
    SOS WIFEY TO SNARPHBLAT, CHELS, SAMANTHA, & SOS MISTRESS TO SAMSET

7. In my own little crazy world . . it's ok, they know me here.
    Oh, Missouri has more puppy mills than any other state in the country. I live in PA, and Lancaster County, PA, has more puppies mills than any county in the country. I really wish something was being done in Missouri.
    A lot of people don't know what a puppy mill is . . I didn't until I bought my Boston Terrier from a pet store. She ended up being very, very sick . . so I started looking into where she came from and found out it was a huge puppy mill in Missouri. The poor baby was shipped from Missouri to PA in a truck with hundreds of other puppies, living in shit. After I started doing research and educated myself on puppy mills I couldn't turn back, which is why I try to do what I can to help put an end to them.

Quote Originally Posted by kristinBcute View Post
    while on R&R I had to explain to DB what a puppy mill was, he had no idea, this is a sore topic for me b/c here in Missouri there is nothing being done to the people that get caught they just take their dogs away and start up somewhere else...I think the punishment should be a much harsher penalty! My heart aches for all those puppies in puppy mills...