Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Today I'm scheduling a biopsy :(

1. I have many leather bound books
    I have many leather bound books

Today I'm scheduling a biopsy :(

Advertisements
    My kitty has been sick for 6 months. We've tried everything to get him better. I think we've gone through like 10 different tests and everything is coming back normal.

So, I have an appointment in a couple hours for a consultation to schedule a biopsy. I believe they will be looking for cancer in his intestines and his stomach. I just want my little buddy to be okay.

The Best Homecoming I ever had
  2. Senior Member
    A BIOPSY??? Are they doing exploratory surgery? Have you done an Ultrasound yet? Poor kitty.
  3. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I hope everything will turn out okay

4. I have many leather bound books
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    A BIOPSY??? Are they doing exploratory surgery? Have you done an Ultrasound yet? Poor kitty.
    We haven't done an ultrasound, my vet told me that if we do an ultrasound it is expensive too because he would have to be knocked out (he's a very cranky patient). She said if we find something on the utlra-sound we would have to do exploratory surgery so it would kind of be a waste of my money to do it.

Yes, it would be exploratory. I have so many questions I'm going to ask today. I just hope I get everything asked that I need to. I'm making a list.

Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    I hope everything will turn out okay

Thank you.

5. Senior Member
    Hun...PLEASE think twice about the exploratory surgery and try to opt for an ultrasound.

While they can be expensive your vets explanation of the cat having to be knocked out as a reason they don't want to do it is BS.

They can give the cat a very mild anesthesia that does not require him to be out completely and do the ultrasound. I would not open my cat up just to see if something was there and risk infection, having to deal with wound care, or worse end up that there is nothing.

What is going on with your kitty? Have you gone to another vet for a second opinion before opting for such a procedure??

He's your kitty...and it's ultimately your choice.
  6. I have many leather bound books
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Hun...PLEASE think twice about the exploratory surgery and try to opt for an ultrasound.

While they can be expensive your vets explanation of the cat having to be knocked out as a reason they don't want to do it is BS.

They can give the cat a very mild anesthesia that does not require him to be out completely and do the ultrasound. I would not open my cat up just to see if something was there and risk infection, having to deal with wound care, or worse end up that there is nothing.

What is going on with your kitty? Have you gone to another vet for a second opinion before opting for such a procedure??

He's your kitty...and it's ultimately your choice.
    I don't think I explained it very good before...sorry! I'm so confused because we've talked about soooo much over the past 6 months. I'm thinking skipping the ultra-sound is possibly due to, if we find something we'll have to do a biopsy. If we don't find something they'll have to do exploratory surgery.

Do you know about pets, like do you work with them? If so, maybe you have some advice. I haven't actually taken him for a 2nd opinion, but I do have a friend that works for a vet that I've been talking to. I may get all his records today and take him there to see what they say.

Here's his issue:
    1. We found out in October he has diabetes.
    2. He also had extremely high liver values and something else (can't remember) he was in the hospital for 2 or 3 days
    3. Since then he's had constant diarrhea (sorry to be graphic, but I can't describe it without saying that)

He is eating well, very well actually. He's drinking quite a bit of water, like a lot. We have tried 4 rounds of Metronidoxal (sp?) and 1 round of anti-biotic. We've tried 3 rounds of Fortaflora. We've tested him for Triad disease, pancreatitous (sp?), worms, bacteria...shoot I don't know what else.

Everything is coming back ok. They think that it might be cancer. I don't know? I'm so confused.

7. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I agree with Boxermom. I believe she is a Vet tech. I am going to school to be a vet assistant and have worked a animal clinic for almost 2 years. I would definitly do the ultrasound. Any surgery can be risky. How old is your cat? Older patients are a higher risk for surgery because of the anesthisia (spelling?). Get a 2nd opinion before they open him up. I know the doctors here would do all the other options first before they would do any surgery.
  8. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    Just talked with one of the vets here that I work for, she said that if his diabetes isn't under control, that could be causing all of the other issues such as the diarrhea.
  9. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    A good way to see if his diabetes is under control is to drop him off in the morning at the vet and they can do a glucose curve which means they check his blodd glucose every 1-2 hours throughout the day so they can see if they need to adjust his insulin if he is on it. Also diet can be a part of it too.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast