Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about first time puppy parenting

1. Banned
    Banned

Confused Question about first time puppy parenting

Advertisements
    I was wondering if there is ever a GOOD time to get a puppy? I mean I take classes and work, and want to be able to spend as much time with it as I can. I'm moving into a house in Aug. and it has a nice fenced in yard and lots of room inside so the puppy would have tons of room to run around. I just keep coming back to the question "Would there be a better time?" There wont be a time in the future that going to school and working will go away to give me more time to train it and stuff. This will also be the first dog that I'm raising (lol sounds like a kid) by myself, so I guess I just want to cover all my bases before I make such a big committment. Growing up we have always had dogs so I know how to take care of and train them and everything. I plan on getting a Boxer if that makes any difference. Thank you in advance I just dont want to get a puppy and then not have the time to take care of it.
  2. Senior Member
    If you are moving in August to a house with a yard I would wait until then. Puppies are a lot of time and work, if you don't have the time to take a puppy on, including the every 20 minute potties, 3 times a day feedings, exercise, crate training, every 3 weeks to the vet for boosters, etc. and you are going to have to crate the puppy more than an hour at at time in the beginning, I would suggest you get an older pup vs. a puppy.
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    If you are moving in August to a house with a yard I would wait until then. Puppies are a lot of time and work, if you don't have the time to take a puppy on, including the every 20 minute potties, 3 times a day feedings, exercise, crate training, every 3 weeks to the vet for boosters, etc. and you are going to have to crate the puppy more than an hour at at time in the beginning, I would suggest you get an older pup vs. a puppy.

4. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would say at the very minimum, wait till you are done with school. Puppies will need extra attention, like the 3 meals a day, plus house training and the normal basic commands. I think it's one thing to have a dog and work full time, but to have a dog, work full time AND go to school, that takes away a very important part of a dog's life (IMO). I feel awful on days when I can't get home on time after work. It probably also depends on if you plan on keeping them inside or outside during the time when you are away. Mine stays inside, so I have to make sure to get home to let him out as well as feed and exercise him (and snuggle and cuddle with him). Of course if you have someone else at home to help take care of the dog while you are away (on nights that I have school, my mom, whom I live with while DB is deployed) then it's different.
    But if you truly want a puppy to train and raise as your own, you need to make sure you can dedicate more than just weekends to that training....

Yes, this IS my siggy.
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I agree with everyone above, they need a lot of attention and frequent potty breaks. We got a puppy and I wanted a job, but now I am going to wait until he is at least a year old because I don't want to keep him in his kennel all day. Definitely wait until you have more time on your hands, I wish we did.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I've adopted a couple older 1-3 years old dogs from shelters, and they're past that 'can't hold their bladder more than 20 minutes' phase, but they're still really young and fun. Maybe check out some animal shelters before deciding fully on a puppy. There are a lot of perks to adult dogs.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    I totally agree with you guys...I had kind of put the idea of getting a dog in the back of my mind for a while because I cant come to a decision about it. I will be living with my best friend and her sister, my bestfriend is getting a Goldendoodle (shes never had a dog in her life) so I thought I could just play the Aunt role for a while haha. There would be other people around but I dont want them to be training it, I wanna be the stay at home mommy Growing up having dogs, there was ALWAYS people home to be around the dogs and I never had complete responsibility for them, so its not going to be as easy as I've experienced it lol....but a BIG to you guys!!!!
  8. Banned
    Banned
    And I guess if you wanna check my babies out there is a pic of me and them in my album They are Goldens...I wanted a Boxer just because I cant deal with the fur anymore hehe
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanni42 View Post
    I totally agree with you guys...I had kind of put the idea of getting a dog in the back of my mind for a while because I cant come to a decision about it. I will be living with my best friend and her sister, my bestfriend is getting a Goldendoodle (shes never had a dog in her life) so I thought I could just play the Aunt role for a while haha. There would be other people around but I dont want them to be training it, I wanna be the stay at home mommy Growing up having dogs, there was ALWAYS people home to be around the dogs and I never had complete responsibility for them, so its not going to be as easy as I've experienced it lol....but a BIG to you guys!!!!
    I think the urge will soon fade away, it's great that you will be able to play with your best friend's dog You will get to play with the dog, without having the resposibilities We got our bulldog when he was 8 weeks and I wanted to give him away after the second night!! Just have fun playing "Auntie" for now
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MissDanni42 View Post
    And I guess if you wanna check my babies out there is a pic of me and them in my album They are Goldens...I wanted a Boxer just because I cant deal with the fur anymore hehe
    Then don't get a Boxer...I would rather have long fur then those little "pokey" hairs all over that I have from my Boxer and my English.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast