Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: adding to my lab-oratory??? *updated OP*

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

adding to my lab-oratory??? *updated OP*

Advertisements
    this is something i already mentioned with boxermom via pm (this is from my pm, so don't get all excited, lol) and i wanna put it out there for other opinions.

i've been thinking i might wanna add to my lab-oratory. lu really enjoyed spending a few weekends with petsparkle's lab chester & she's wanting to rough house with me every night. she's totally in her second puppyhood at almost 8.

i'd like another laid back chocolate female, housebroken (because i cannot take the time off to train) in the 1ish to 4ish age range. i was thinking maybe i'd give my info to the shelters & rescues, so that if they got someone applicable in. i'm in no rush. i'm looking for the right gal.

i'm fairly certain my landlords will go for it but i haven't asked yet. they are dog people. they have a boxer mix female who is getting on in years. she & lu have only met a few times, so there's no real issue there as far as competing for turnout time. thing is, should i move, renting with 2 big dogs could be tricky. however, i don't see myself moving anytime soon. i'm in a great spot here.

my problem is...i feel guilty. like, i am bringing in lu's replacement. lu is healthy as a horse, but as much as i love her guts, i know she's not immortal. she's taught me a ton about dogs, people & life. she's my longest relationship (7 years in aug!). i could never replace her, but i want her to have a pal to enjoy & show the ropes.

help me. what do you think?

*update 3/28*
    boxermomma has agreed to give me a ride next sat if she's still available. i'm really hoping she is.

i just left a note for my landlords asking if they'd be ok with me getting another lab. they musta went somewhere today.

*update again*
    latte's ad is gone, so i suspect she was adopted today. good for her, but bummer for me & lu. looking for a next candidate.
    Last edited by rcwant2be; 03-28-2009 at 08:45 PM.
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

bump.

help. opinions, pleasy please.
  3. Senior Member
    Dont think of it as replacing her. Think more like you are getting her a companion. Someone for her to place with and hang out with.
  4. Senior Member
    Ohhh...you brought PM's to the board...

You know my opinon, I think it's great and I don't think that Lu will think you are replacing her. She will enjoy the company while your at work and give her a new buddy to play with!!
  5. Senior Member
    I think it's a great idea. It might even help lu live longer! Not only that, but it might be easier to train the new puppy because he/she will have an example.
    The only concern I would have is finding another place to rent if something were to happen. It's not impossible to find places that will let you have two dogs, but it is harder.
    Good luck and keep us posted!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think its an awesome idea! If I had the room I would have gotten one of Diesel's brothers when we got him. He loves other puppies in fact he is over at a friend's house playing with their St. Bernard puppy right now, we got them the same day & now they are best friends
  7. Doin' It All On My Own...
    Doin' It All On My Own...
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Ohhh...you brought PM's to the board...

You know my opinon, I think it's great and I don't think that Lu will think you are replacing her. She will enjoy the company while your at work and give her a new buddy to play with!!
    and they can get into trouble together, take baths together, long walks on the beach together, double team people at the doggie park together lol. I think its a great investment!
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    i know how you feel. after we learned about mari's heart condition i've been thinking about the time when i'm going to end up getting a new kitten (i don't want vengeance to get lonely), and i feel so guilty even thinking about it. i think since lu dog is an only dog anyway, it would be great to bring in a companion for her! since mari and vengeance are a duo already, we are not going to get another kitten until mari passes, which is hopefully several years down the road. lu dog will probably love having a companion, honestly.
  9. Senior Member
    RC - I wanted to add I thought the same thing when we brought Mr. Farley into the house with Ida. Quite honestly, there was one day of jealousy with her and then she realized hey....this kid is FUN!! Now they sleep together, play all the time, beat up on the cat, steal stuff from each other, it's a riot watching this fat little 25 pound low rider and my 51 pound lean machine go at.
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I think its an awesome idea!

We too will be adding to our herding collection in late summer!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast