Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: so much to do and a question

1. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries

Jump for Joy so much to do and a question

Advertisements
    We are getting Spirit (our dog) back next month!!!! I am so excited! But there is so much to do. Our backyards here are so not set up for a dog. There is about a 1ft gap between the bottom of the fence and the ground, so we are going to have to put something up to keep her from digging and getting out. Then I am REALLY worried about her jumping the fence. It's only maybe 5ft high. One of my neighbors has a lab, it's no big deal to see a yellow lab hoping fences in the back

My biggest dilemma.... how do I keep her downstairs? While at my in laws house, she has figured out how to jump baby gates Any ideas?
  2. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Hmm that's a toughy. If she knows how to jump them, then now you'll have to train her that jumping the fence is not good. It'll take time but you can do it.

3. ------------------
    ------------------
    Stack two baby gates on top of each other
  4. Am
    Quote Originally Posted by CarLooSHoo View Post
    Hmm that's a toughy. If she knows how to jump them, then now you'll have to train her that jumping the fence is not good. It'll take time but you can do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
    Stack two baby gates on top of each other
    Both.

Start with two and continue to work with her until she knows that the gates mean she can't go past there. Eventually, you'll be able to use only 1 or many even no baby gate.
  5. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I'd be a little worried using two gates. What if Spirit still tried to jump the gate and just hurt herself when she falls on the second gate?

6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    I cant stack 2 baby gates. I have 3 kids that still need to get up and down the stairs. At least she doesnt chase cats anymore. But she still likes to go through the potty boxes , which is why I need to keep her downstairs. I am sure I will come up with something.
  7. Banned
    Banned
    It will take some work, but you can train her for a "no pass" line where you she knows that she is not allowed to cross the line without being invited/given permission. In the meantime, blocking the room the cat box is in might be easier than trying to block the stairs.
  8. Senior Member
    Since she will be in a new house it shouldn't be too hard to train her to not go upstairs. Just set boundaries for her and be consistent (make sure the kids are consistent too!). It shouldn't take long before she realizes that in this house she is not allowed up the stairs without getting reprimanded for it.

It's kind of like we let our dog on the couch at home, but at my mom's house she doesn't want him on the couch. When we go there we just let him know he is not allowed up when he tries, and now it usually takes only once or twice before he remembers that the rules for her house are different for our house and he doesn't attempt to get on them after a reminder.