Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Could this be kennel cough?

1. Senior Member

Could this be kennel cough?

Advertisements
    Ari just went to the groomers on Friday and since then he has been making this awful cough sound, almost like he is trying to cough up a hairball or is choking on something. It isn't often but he'll get little attacks of it every few hours. Does that sound like kennel cough?

He just had his shot for kennel cough and all that right at 3 months ago, so he should have still been ok, or at least I thought so.

2. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Sounds like it could be, yes. Emmie got it from a groomer back in Maine and she didn't cough much but she had fits that sounded like she was hacking something up.
  3. A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    A Pretty Poison Flower...bringing you the sweetest juice.
    Me: Norfolk Him: Norfolk now, Afghanistan soon.
    Blog Entries
    The kennel cough vaccine is like the flu shot in humans. It helps to prevent it but it's not 100% and it doesn't cover all strains of the virus. It sounds like kennel cough to me. I'd take him to the vet. There's not much they can do except give some antibiotics to help prevent a secondary infection and let it run it's course but at least you'll have that. I've known dogs to get pneumonia after contracting kennel cough so it's better to be covered.
    Wifey to nstarsweetie and missmaaaine, pog to miraluu, and TayreehBaykur is my Mistress! Mrow! !
  4. Senior Member
    If it sounds like a "barking cough" (sorry bad pun) or like a bone stuck in his throat more than likely it's kennel cough. You need to take him to the vet and get him on some antibiotics because it can turn into a secondary infection as someone else said, they can also give you some cough medicine or tell you to use Robitussn OTC. Kennel cough can be pretty nasty and is super infectious so make sure you tell them you "think" he's got kennel cough so they can isolate your dog when you are there so he does not infect other animals and they can disinfect the room when he's gone. Your going to kinda feel like a leper, but it's for the best for all the other animals in the clinic.

I am dealing with kennel cough my house right now thanks to Farley, he has been vaccinated too. He got a secondary infection with his and ended up on a 14 day course of antibiotics, because he is a puppy it bloomed almost over night into a nasty URI with wet coughing, mucus, green nose, runny eyes etc. I am very fortunate that he did not get pneumonia.

Ida Mae now has kennel cough. She has been vaccinated (both injection and nasal) but is on a prophylactic of antibiotics just in case for the next 5 days.
  5. Senior Member
    From your description, definitely sounds like kennel cough. Our dog had it when we got her from the shleter. Sounded exactly like she was coughing up hairballs, a deep hoarse, barking cough. She ended up getting an infection and had thick green snot (sorry TMI) for days and days and it was DISGUSTING. So please, see the vet and have the pup checked.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    If it sounds like a "barking cough" (sorry bad pun) or like a bone stuck in his throat more than likely it's kennel cough. You need to take him to the vet and get him on some antibiotics because it can turn into a secondary infection as someone else said, they can also give you some cough medicine or tell you to use Robitussn OTC. Kennel cough can be pretty nasty and is super infectious so make sure you tell them you "think" he's got kennel cough so they can isolate your dog when you are there so he does not infect other animals and they can disinfect the room when he's gone. Your going to kinda feel like a leper, but it's for the best for all the other animals in the clinic.

I am dealing with kennel cough my house right now thanks to Farley, he has been vaccinated too. He got a secondary infection with his and ended up on a 14 day course of antibiotics, because he is a puppy it bloomed almost over night into a nasty URI with wet coughing, mucus, green nose, runny eyes etc. I am very fortunate that he did not get pneumonia.

Ida Mae now has kennel cough. She has been vaccinated (both injection and nasal) but is on a prophylactic of antibiotics just in case for the next 5 days.

Eek! I hope they both feel better soon!

I was kind of hoping it wasn't going to be kennel cough but I had a feeling. When I went to pick him up another lady was picking up her dogs and when they brought them out they were telling her the dogs had fleas and were sick. I know they let Ari and other little dogs run around and don't keep them in a kennel while they're there, so I'm not all surprised.

I guess we'll be making a vet trip and waiting awhile before he gets a haircut.