Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Rescue or wait?

1. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries

Question Rescue or wait?

Advertisements
    DH and I are prepping for our PCS. He'll report in mid-April and I'll report once my paperwork is finished. Hopefully no later than mid- to end of May.

We found a puppy that we're interested in rescuing and taking with us. We were definitely planning to get a puppy once we were in Italy. But if I can rescue one locally and not to mention for less... I think we should do it. What do you think? Does anyone have experience with OCONUS PCS with a dog less than 6 months old? This puppy would be 3 months by the time I'm expecting to be moving....

5 wks old male as of 3/5/09
    Tri-color Australian Shepard
  2. Senior Member
    I'm not sure what the rules/regulations are for Italy, but definitely research the quarantine rules, what shots puppy needs, etc.

I know for Guam, any animals that are brought here, have to be in quarantine for 6 months.

It could get very, very expensive to bring a pet into another country.
  3. Senior Member
    If your moving OCONUS I would suggest you wait and rescue when you are there.
  4. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    My kitties weren't that young when we brought them but the EU requires only that they are over 30 days old and have all the vaccine stuff. Are you taking Z too?
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  5. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PeppermintRei View Post
    My kitties weren't that young when we brought them but the EU requires only that they are over 30 days old and have all the vaccine stuff. Are you taking Z too?
    If I take the puppy, I have to take Z. The only reason I don't want to take Z is becaue I'm worried about something happening to her inflight. The puppy and her would probably both be put in crates in the belly of the plane and that just freaks me out for some reason.

I need to go get those USDA links again because I have to get Z's stuff going. And this puppy's if we decide to get him.

The great thing is, its a breed we were really interested in, its tri-color, and the adoption fee is only $55 plus the cost to fix him. I know in Italy we'll pay a lot more than that for a puppy... maybe not a grown dog but DH and I don't want a grown dog.
  6. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    oh god, he's too cute to say no!!! But I would say check about quarantine rules first bacause that might not be worth it
  7. Senior Member
    What I could find for Italy:

To be able to bring your pet to Italy it must have had a microchip implanted and then have been vaccinated, in that order, against rabies using a suitable inactivated vaccine. After the first rabies vaccination at least 21 days must go by before you depart for Italy.

It is forbidden to bring animals less than 3 months old and not vaccinated for rabies.
    I've always heard 30 days, not 21 so I'm not sure on that. But you do need a microchip and then the vaccine. Then you need a bilingual health cert approved/signed by the USDA within 10 days of you leaving. Also another form for the airlines. You should get everything you need from the vet. There is no quarantine.

Also make sure to book the animals on the flight ASAP because there are usually only 2-4 animals allowed per flight.
  8. Senior Member
    But I would wait People give animals away here like they're nothing They don't want to deal with the requirements for international moves so they just leave them.
  9. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by my.hero's.mrs View Post
    If I take the puppy, I have to take Z. The only reason I don't want to take Z is becaue I'm worried about something happening to her inflight. The puppy and her would probably both be put in crates in the belly of the plane and that just freaks me out for some reason.

I need to go get those USDA links again because I have to get Z's stuff going. And this puppy's if we decide to get him.

The great thing is, its a breed we were really interested in, its tri-color, and the adoption fee is only $55 plus the cost to fix him. I know in Italy we'll pay a lot more than that for a puppy... maybe not a grown dog but DH and I don't want a grown dog.
    My two have flown under the airplane twice. If you fly United/Lufthansa they are super careful of pets and the pets go in a special climate controlled hold, not where the baggage goes. They are loaded as the people are boarding the plane and they are the first thing off at the destination. The handlers feed and water them. You can put comfort toys and pee pads/towels in their crates to help them feel comfy.

I'm still nervous and worried about it, but they've made it twice and have been okay. I know it's nerve wracking but there is as much risk in you flying as there is for them flying. There's nothing like going to baggage claim and having the handlers bring you out your pet from the special baggage area. It makes it really home.

I think if you've thought it through about finding a home to live in with two dogs and the expenses of pet care and flying a dog over and back, there is no reason to not get the puppy now, especially if he's a rescue and needs a home. I much prefer rescue dogs.
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  10. Not even the Army can shatter my spirit.
    Blog Entries
    I prefer rescue dogs too. You ladies all bring up good points as far as the travel requirements, the thought process necessary... regardless, I can't disown my own dog that I have living with me now. So if I have to find a home for her to live in with us, then I would have a home for the puppy too. DH wants us to just get one since we found one that we really like and are interested in. We've been browsing rescue listings here and there for a few months just seeing what's there... I don't know. I'm kind of if-y but he's really a-go about it.