Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: question about feline distemper FPV

1. Member

question about feline distemper FPV

Advertisements
    We adopted a kitten from a local market here and it appeared healthy and happy.
    We had it registered at the base but could not get a new kitten appt for 2 weeks. We knew it was not vax but we thought it would be fine until the appt.
    Well 4 days later it got suddenly sick and died at the Emergency Vets the next day. It had feline distemper.
    During the time it was sick it was contained to a bathroom, and before had only been in the living room hall and bathroom areas of our home for its acclimation period.
    when it was sick it puked EVERYWHERE it seemed in that bathroom.
    Distemper is supposed to be a really survivable virus (for years on surfaces) and hard to disinfect.
    I cleaned the floor with a disinfectant cleaner that says that it kills 99% of viruses and bacteria. We got rid of the food bowls and the litter box we used.
    I am looking to get another kitten, this time from a breeder. I know it will be vaxed but i have heard that sometimes a vax is not 100%.
    I am terrified that this kitten will get it too.
    I know the virus is shed in saliva feces and in the vomitus and I am afraid that I may have missed spots while disinfecting. It is probably impossible to know every spot the kitten saliva got on ya know?!
    Anyway does anyone have any tips? I know that they get the shot at 8 weeks and again at 12, but I heard that some reccomend another booster for kittens in hi risk situations at 14 weeks. Should i inform the breeder of this and ask for the booster? I am also afraid they might not let me have her if they know this risk.
    Any advice is appreciated.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Im so sorry to hear about your little baby. We usually recommend diluted bleach anything that can be bleached without ruining it. Even if a kitten has had a vaccine or 2, their immune system is not completely mature enough to protect them until their series is completed. We recommend vaccinating at 8, 12, & 16 weeks of age.
  3. Senior Member
    Honestly you can deactivate the PanLeuk virus with full strength bleach since it's a bathroom that should not be too hard to do. I would toss any bath mats etc. just to be on the safe side unless they are white and you can bleach those as well.

Give your bathroom the good bleaching a few days before you bring your new kitten home to give it time to air out too.

If you are getting your next kitten from a breeder, go to the vet within 48 hours of acquiring the kitten.

Make sure that the kitten gets his/her shots from the breeder and depending how old and what the breeder vax cycle is sometimes they start at 4 weeks, which means they will get 4 sets of shots vs. 3. FPV is the Parvo for kittens, unfortunately it's pretty deadly.
  4. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Honestly you can deactivate the PanLeuk virus with full strength bleach since it's a bathroom that should not be too hard to do. I would toss any bath mats etc. just to be on the safe side unless they are white and you can bleach those as well.

Give your bathroom the good bleaching a few days before you bring your new kitten home to give it time to air out too.

If you are getting your next kitten from a breeder, go to the vet within 48 hours of acquiring the kitten.

Make sure that the kitten gets his/her shots from the breeder and depending how old and what the breeder vax cycle is sometimes they start at 4 weeks, which means they will get 4 sets of shots vs. 3. FPV is the Parvo for kittens, unfortunately it's pretty deadly.

“In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  5. Member
    Thank you so much ladies!
    I hope everything goes well with this kitten and that it does not get sick....we are spending a small fortune here with this one.
    I will begin the bleaching....
    Does anyone know if bleach will discolor dark tile? I am not sure what bleach ruins and what it does not.
    I did wash my mats and towels with bleach 3 times, It ruined them but I did not want to take any chances.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Boxermom is spot on (as usual) - but I have to ask, what kind of kitty are you getting?
  7. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athenapink View Post
    Thank you so much ladies!
    I hope everything goes well with this kitten and that it does not get sick....we are spending a small fortune here with this one.
    I will begin the bleaching....
    Does anyone know if bleach will discolor dark tile? I am not sure what bleach ruins and what it does not.
    I did wash my mats and towels with bleach 3 times, It ruined them but I did not want to take any chances.
    Hummm....you know, I am not sure. That is a good question. I would try it in a place like behind the potty where it's not noticeable and see if it hurts the floor. You can put the bleach in a spray bottle and do it that way. But you really want to use it full strength in places you can. If you are concerned about the tile then I would dilute it pretty well, clean the floor let it dry then do it again with a fresh batch just to makes sure.
  8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    Boxermom is spot on (as usual) - but I have to ask, what kind of kitty are you getting?
    I am in talks with the breeder to buy a maine coon......there is one I have my eye on and she is BEAUTIFUL!
  9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Hummm....you know, I am not sure. That is a good question. I would try it in a place like behind the potty where it's not noticeable and see if it hurts the floor. You can put the bleach in a spray bottle and do it that way. But you really want to use it full strength in places you can. If you are concerned about the tile then I would dilute it pretty well, clean the floor let it dry then do it again with a fresh batch just to makes sure.
    Thank you so much for the advice I will try that!
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by athenapink View Post
    I am in talks with the breeder to buy a maine coon......there is one I have my eye on and she is BEAUTIFUL!
    I love main coons...they are beautiful!! Good luck with your new kid, when you get her post pictures!!!