Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on traveling with Cats??

1. Senior Member
    Boston, MA (DH-Currently deployed on the USS John C. Stennis via NAS Lemoore)

Help Advice on traveling with Cats??

Advertisements
    Sooo... I have two "furbabies", Merlin & Chance, and they are home bodies... they do not travel, except for to the vet so needless to say they do NOT like getting into the carrier and getting in the car. They "scream" or "cry" you know that kitty cat kind of cry??

Here's my deal-- DH is getting out of the Navy when he returns from deployment early this summer and I just got an awesome job back home in Boston (we are in CA now). I am moving back in just a few weeks. I am shipping our personal car and flying back. I am planning on carrying them in the cabin (too cold in Boston for me to check them) and am even having a friend fly back with me to carry on one of the kitties. Does anyone have any advice on traveling with cats? How long before hand to stop food and water? Will they hold it? Do I get them meds to make them calm? I have read/heard from the vets both ways... to drug or not to drug?

Note: I had read online about trying to get the cats used to riding in the car and NOT ending up at the vet. I did that today... we went to petsmart. They whined but seemed to calm down a little bit and it seemed like an okay trip until my older cat (almost 3 years) pooped a few blocks from my house!! Not pretty but luckily I had "puppy pads" lining the carriers.
    Last edited by Mrs_Salty; 03-19-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: spelling
    ~~He's finally home!~~

2. >.< *face palm* >.<
    >.< *face palm* >.<

Get a carrier with a good liner. I know this sounds weird, but I "walked" my cat before I went through security so he could go to the bathroom.
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rainbow Brite View Post
    Get a carrier with a good liner. I know this sounds weird, but I "walked" my cat before I went through security so he could go to the bathroom.
    I bought harness type collars for them today because they can take off their regular collars and leashes for both of them just in case I HaVE to take them out of the carriers for security. I have read that you can request them to screen you manually if needed and I am hoping I can do that. My guys do NOT like getting into the carrier and I don't want anyone calling the animal cops on me for forcing them back in!
    Last edited by Mrs_Salty; 03-19-2009 at 01:51 AM.
    ~~He's finally home!~~

4. Senior Member
    Anyone??
    ~~He's finally home!~~

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I work at a vet clinic as a tech. Most of our doctors don't really like to sedate an animal unless they just are completely out of control. Sedating really doesn't do anything for anxiety, just slows them down. Taking them on car trips daily to get them used to the carriers does sometimes help, but cats will be cats. If they don't like something they let you know. This is really a question for your cat's vet, as long as they really know your cat and its behavior. I know a few cats that really don't do well with sedation & some can actually get more worked up with it. If your vet does recommend sedation I highly suggest you do a "trial run" before your trip. Every animal reacts differently. You can give 1 dose to a cat & it be totally knocked out while another cat of the same size needs more to be slightly slower or vice versa. This way you know how much your baby needs & how ling it affects them. Good luck
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

my grandma's vets would puff a spray of some type of pheremone that relaxes cats in their carrier to keep them calm on the ride back to the vets. i'd look into that.
  7. Senior Member
    There are anti-anxiety medications out there that you can use for your cats, but I strongly suggest you get a good one from your vet. You don't want to sedate them, but for cats that are uber stressed it could be your only choice. You can try Rescue Remedy which is a homeopathic method as well and see if that works. There is also Feliway which is a relaxation type spray. Both of the last two are at any PetCo/PetSmart etc.

Sometimes airlines will not let you fly any animal that has been drugged so certainly check that out before you get anything.

Either way, call your vets office and ask them. Some offices will give you a prescription over the phone if your cats have had a well visit within 6 months.
  8. Miss Puerto Rico
    Miss Puerto Rico
    Mine have never been in a plane, I do take them in car rides a lot every time we go out of town they come with us and they still hate getting in the carrier, once they are in they are fine though. I would definitely talk to their vet and see what they think.
    Have you ask the airline about all the rules and all that? Are they too big to put them both in one carrier? I love putting mine in one carrier even if they don't have much space, that way I know they are comforting each other.
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rcwant2be View Post
    my grandma's vets would puff a spray of some type of pheremone that relaxes cats in their carrier to keep them calm on the ride back to the vets. i'd look into that.
    Feliway. Works like a charm most of the time.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    My cats get VERY stressed anytime they leave the house. I have no choice but to sedate them.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast