Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We're Getting A Puppy!

1. Regular Member
    Norfolk, but soon moving to Mayport in June.

Jump for Joy We're Getting A Puppy!

Advertisements
    On April 11th we're getting a male Charcoal Lab! They are gray labs. Its going to be our first dog as a couple and we're so excited. I just paid the deposit with the breeder today so our puppy is reserved. I'm really excited as I had a Golden growing up.

For those of you in an Apt. How did you work on potty training it in an Apt? I am moving to join my husband in Mayport, FL in June and we will have a base house then...but obviously we need to work on the house breaking thing right from the get go.

Also, does anyone have a dog in the Hampton Roads area that would like to meet up for walks and such? Same with Mayport? I'd like to socialize my puppy to other dogs and people.
    Last edited by NavyBeanChili; 03-18-2009 at 06:20 PM. Reason: crappy spelling
  2. Member
    I have a black lab and we currently live in an Apt in Mayport, fl. It wasnt hard at all to house train him. I did it in about 2 weeks including kennel training for when were gone. Only thing you do is take him or her out to side as soon as he or she eats and every 20 mins or so. If you want to know more let me know. Oh and congrats on getting a pup and coming to mayport.
  3. Senior Member
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I have a 3 month old half lab half german shorthair puppy and the whole training in an apartment thing really isn't that bad except ours is mostly carpet (I wish it was tile but oh well). The smaller the space he's in, the easier it is to keep an eye on him. Today is the first day the potty training has started clicking, he now knows what "wanna go potty?" means so I say that and he gets all excited and runs to the door. Just make sure you keep saying potty and he'll learn, praise him wildly when he goes outside and take him out every 20 minutes (30 min was too long for our puppy). Keep it consistent and he will get it. Good luck!!!
  5. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Awww congrats to you both!!! I can't wait to see the pictures Do you know what you'll be naming the pup??? I wish we lived closer because Meesha would LOVE to play with a pup!

6. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    congrats on the pup. just be consistant with the pup. take it out often, put it on a schedule, feeding, playing, sleeping, potty breaks. dont allow the pup free choice food...and moniter the water intake.

now to my pet peeve. thereis NO such thing as a "grey" or "charcoal" lab.

it's a chocolate lab, that had a lighter coat, that a breeder took and bred to a "liked color" dog,......

i sure hope you arent spending gobs on this dog because of it's color
    ~Ashley

7. Regular Member
    Norfolk, but soon moving to Mayport in June.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetojump View Post
    congrats on the pup. just be consistant with the pup. take it out often, put it on a schedule, feeding, playing, sleeping, potty breaks. dont allow the pup free choice food...and moniter the water intake.

now to my pet peeve. thereis NO such thing as a "grey" or "charcoal" lab.

it's a chocolate lab, that had a lighter coat, that a breeder took and bred to a "liked color" dog,......

i sure hope you arent spending gobs on this dog because of it's color
    Hate to tell you but if you did your research the AKC recognizes charcoals under black labs (diluted) and the silver labs are classified under chocolate labs.

I like how the minute I say I'm getting a charcoal lab you think I'm only buying this dog because of its color. Yes, the color is part of it. But the main thing has to do with personality and that labs are great family dogs and around great kids and fit into our active lifestyle. Like I said, I had a golden retriever growing up. I wanted a lab, and the color is a plus, I don't like how its suggested that I'm getting a dog ONLY due to its LOOKS. Why do people buy certain breeds? Due to looks AND personality. I've done my research and have had experience with large dogs growing up. I am not one of those people who is getting a dog only for its only looks and knows nothing about it.

As for the dishing out gobs for it...$750 may be upscale some people but at least I'm getting my dog from a reputable breeder, I can afford to take care of it, it'll be a part of our family, and it has good lineage/health/hip guarantees in addition to being dewormed and up to date on shots.

People pay $1000 for some tiny toy dog that's from a puppy mill at the pet store. I don't see why I need to take flack for how much I pay for a dog from a breeder that loves their dogs.
  8. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyBeanChili View Post
    Hate to tell you but if you did your research the AKC recognizes charcoals under black labs (diluted) and the silver labs are classified under chocolate labs.
    oh, yes, please direct me to exactly where it shows AKC allowing the diluted colors.....my aunt and uncle breed/raise chocolates and blacks. I have a black lab currently.

I like how the minute I say I'm getting a charcoal lab you think I'm only buying this dog because of its color. Yes, the color is part of it. But the main thing has to do with personality and that labs are great family dogs and around great kids and fit into our active lifestyle. Like I said, I had a golden retriever growing up. I wanted a lab, and the color is a plus, I don't like how its suggested that I'm getting a dog ONLY due to its LOOKS. Why do people buy certain breeds? Due to looks AND personality. I've done my research and have had experience with large dogs growing up. I am not one of those people who is getting a dog only for its only looks and knows nothing about it.

As for the dishing out gobs for it...$750 may be upscale some people but at least I'm getting my dog from a reputable breeder, I can afford to take care of it, it'll be a part of our family, and it has good lineage/health/hip guarantees in addition to being dewormed and up to date on shots.

People pay $1000 for some tiny toy dog that's from a puppy mill at the pet store. I don't see why I need to take flack for how much I pay for a dog from a breeder that loves their dogs.
    and no-i never said you were buying the dog for the color. i just said i hope you are dishing out gobs of money on this dog, because some breeders are all about color. or size. or looks. just protecting you from those harsh breeders who claim they care about dogs.

labs are excellent dogs. i've had labs growing up, as well as currently. my pup is 7 years young and going strong. epileptic and all.
    ~Ashley

9. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    im a vet tech in cali & have had several experiences with charcoal labs. Labs are great dogs, but unfortunately because charcoal is not a standard color for labs... they tend to have more problems from the breeding. I have seen a few of them with major orthopedic confirmation problems such as bowed legs, & joint issues. I'm not saying you will have this problem with your pup but it is a very good idea to make sure the parents have had their hips & elbows X-rayed and OFA cleared is even better (not that it would be a guarantee that the pups won't still have probs, but it does give you better chances). Try to have some sort of agreement that you can get a health check within so many days of getting the pup with an option to return it to the breeder or the breeder will pay for part of vet bills if any congenital issues. Not all future problems will be apparent at this vet visit, but I guess you can only ask for so much. I know some breeders have a guarantee on their pups for 1- 2 years!

As far as house training... I know a lot of people that live in apartment with their babies and will go to buy sod from home depot every few weeks and put it on the patio. This way you are not paper training your pup with teaches that it is ok to "go" inside the house. Also, you are not taking it out to the grass surrounding your apartment to use the restroom where you don't know what stray or sick dogs have been. Parvo is something to woory about til they are vaccinated well.

Hope this helps Congrads!!!
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    1 more thing... i don't want to ruffle anyones feathers or anything, just to clear up the controversy about charcoal or silver labs

& the only reason I am posting it is so the info is out there. I truly think the most important thing in a dog is its temperament & lets just admit it.... they are all just so damn cute no matter pure-breed, mixed, or whatever else you can think of. They are important parts of our lives & members of our families. Unless you are showing your dog... just love them

this is taken straight out of the AKC breed standard for lab colors

Color
    The Labrador Retriever coat colors are black, yellow and chocolate. Any other color or a combination of colors is a disqualification. A small white spot on the chest is permissible, but not desirable. White hairs from aging or scarring are not to be misinterpreted as brindling. Black--Blacks are all black. A black with brindle markings or a black with tan markings is a disqualification. Yellow--Yellows may range in color from fox-red to light cream, with variations in shading on the ears, back, and underparts of the dog. Chocolate--Chocolates can vary in shade from light to dark chocolate. Chocolate with brindle or tan markings is a disqualification.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast