Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Separation Anxiety with dog when owner deploys

1. Member
    Jacksonville, NC/ MCAS New River... Him Iraq

Confused Separation Anxiety with dog when owner deploys

Advertisements
    Ok, so we have two dogs. The male Boxer, Bruski, is definitely my baby and our female boxer, Teea, who is 4 years old has always been my husbands dog. I was wondering if anyone else had to deal with one of their animals going through separation anxiety when a spouse deployed? DH left 2 months ago and Teea, our female, is still just constantly whining and barking and looking for him. She wakes me up 3-4 times in the middle of the night for no reason. She's driving me crazy! I'm trying to be patient and give her tons of love and attention- but it's just not enough apparently. I was just seeing if anyone else had this problem and what you did? Please help!
  2. Senior Member
    It's just too bad I didn't catch you earlier...DH and my pup didn't spend a TON of time together, but bonded VERY quickly and Huxley tends to get very attached to "HIS" people. Schnauzers are notorious for that. I kept on of DH's dirty T-shirts (and I later found a pair of his socks stuffed in the little guys bed that I didn't know he'd stolen) that still had his smell on it. That really seemed to help him a lot. You could tell when Huxley was missing Daddy 'cause he'd pick up his roll of socks and carry it around for 5 or 10 minutes then drop it and leave it...Later you'd see him with it again. He never tore at it or played...Just wandered around with it in his mouth. I didn't have the heart to take it from him when I found it though. I put DH on the speaker phone (vmails and on the phone)...I know it sounds cheesy, but the little guy's ears perk right up when he hears Daddy's voice. LOL. Also, he looks at him on the webcam when he's on...Mostly just 'cause DH wants to see the pup and Huxley likes to sit next to me and cuddle, but I swear he sees it.

You might think I'm a nut, but I think it's helped him. He seems well adjusted to me.
  3. Member
    Jacksonville, NC/ MCAS New River... Him Iraq
    Quote Originally Posted by OneIllWife View Post
    It's just too bad I didn't catch you earlier...DH and my pup didn't spend a TON of time together, but bonded VERY quickly and Huxley tends to get very attached to "HIS" people. Schnauzers are notorious for that. I kept on of DH's dirty T-shirts (and I later found a pair of his socks stuffed in the little guys bed that I didn't know he'd stolen) that still had his smell on it. That really seemed to help him a lot. You could tell when Huxley was missing Daddy 'cause he'd pick up his roll of socks and carry it around for 5 or 10 minutes then drop it and leave it...Later you'd see him with it again. He never tore at it or played...Just wandered around with it in his mouth. I didn't have the heart to take it from him when I found it though. I put DH on the speaker phone (vmails and on the phone)...I know it sounds cheesy, but the little guy's ears perk right up when he hears Daddy's voice. LOL. Also, he looks at him on the webcam when he's on...Mostly just 'cause DH wants to see the pup and Huxley likes to sit next to me and cuddle, but I swear he sees it.

You might think I'm a nut, but I think it's helped him. He seems well adjusted to me.
    Thanks so much for the idea of the shirt and clothes with his smell. I bet she would get a lot of comfort out of that. And no I don't think you're crazy! DH talks to her over the phone and webcam too and her ears perk up and she gets all happy as well when she hears Daddy's voice. I just wish she could understand when I tell her "Daddy will be back, don't worry!" I just feel so bad for her. But I'll get one of his dirty shirts for her tonight, I think there's still some in the laundry room I haven't gotten too. Hopefully that will help some. I can't imagine how excited she's going to be when he comes home!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    gwen (my dane) didn't go through any separation anxiety, but she did get really depressed when dh left.

she was use to him being gone for like a week or two, but after about 3 weeks she realized he wasn't coming home (yes, i know, dogs have no real sense of time) but it was seriously, like almost a month into it, she got really really depressed. she mopped around the house, didn't want to do anything, started eating even less than she was. (that was a nightmare)

i just showered her with attention. i hope your baby comes around soon!

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    this must be a dog thing. the cats seemed to just be happy to have more room in the bed, though they were happy to see him back when he returned.