Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy potty training

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Puppy potty training

Advertisements
    HELP! Anyone have any brilliant ideas as far as potty training puppies goes? We're trying to get Diesel to go on the newspaper but its just not clicking. Whenever he has an accident I pat the newspaper in it to get the scent on there thinking he will smell it and associate it with peeing since he seems to keep going in the same spot of the house. I keep an eye on him constantly and whenever I see him starting to pee I grab him and take him to the newspaper (mid pee even) and if he goes on the paper a little bit I give him tons of "yay good boy, good potty" but I'm still having to carry him over there every time. Granted its only day 2 but I just want to make sure I'm doing something right so he'll eventually get it kwim?

So any advice would be wonderful!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Your doing the right thing. Eventually he will get the hang of it, and some days when it seems he's got in down, he'll have accidents. Just keep working at it!
  3. Senior Member
    Are you planning on him peeing inside for the rest of his life or taking him outside to go potty? If you plan on training him inside then continue wtih that, but if you want him to go outside you need to take him out ALL the time.

With Farley we are outside EVERY 20 MINUTES in the wind, snow, cold and rain. Chanting "go potty Farley, go potty" The boy has had 1 accident in the house since Saturday and it was totally my fault.
  4. Senior Member
    maybe you could try moving his food bowl to the place where hes always goes. it may sound gross but i read once that does wont go potty where their food is. maybe that'll work..
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Are you planning on him peeing inside for the rest of his life or taking him outside to go potty? If you plan on training him inside then continue wtih that, but if you want him to go outside you need to take him out ALL the time.

With Farley we are outside EVERY 20 MINUTES in the wind, snow, cold and rain. Chanting "go potty Farley, go potty" The boy has had 1 accident in the house since Saturday and it was totally my fault.
    We definitely want him to go outside and we take him out all the time but even if I sit out there with him for 20 minutes and he doesn't go he will come in and pee right on the carpet. So we're trying the newspaper and we're eventually going to move it outside then take it away so hopefully he will get it? I'll try taking him out more though thank you!
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by ksmith View Post
    maybe you could try moving his food bowl to the place where hes always goes. it may sound gross but i read once that does wont go potty where their food is. maybe that'll work..
    I'll try that if he doesn't start to get the hang of it in a week or so. Only problem is he keeps going in a main walkway so I can't really leave his food there ya know? But thank you!
  7. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    Would you go potty outside if you could just go inside and pee on a newspaper?

I wouldn't, lol.
  8. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    How old is he? How often do you take him/her out?
    I would suggest training them to pee inside, they will then think it's OK to do so.

So you just let him out in the back yard and watch them or do you put them on a leash and walk him?

I wouldn't suggest. Not would.
    Last edited by LoveDisappears; 03-17-2009 at 05:32 PM.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  9. Banned
    Banned
    what?? You got a puppy?? Pics please!!!
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

diesel is the lab/shorthair mix, right?

if yes, he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too big of dog to be paper trained. i have a lab. she could flood you out. you need to take him out to potty. also, once you paper train, they will potty on paper for the rest of their life. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DO NOT PAPER TRAIN HIM!

the best thing to do is to keep a close close eye on him. if you need to, leash him & clip it to your belt. since he's a lil older, take him out every 20 mins to half hour (adjust down as needed). my ex bf in mi got a lab pup when we were together. we picked her up friday night after work & his parents & sis helped us potty train her over the weekend. by sunday afternoon she was going to the door on her own! every time you take him out "say lets go potty" & when he goes "good potty & pet him". it also helps to take him to the same area each time. let him explore a little bit. some dogs have a surface preference. lu prefers grass. she'll only potty on gravel or pavement if it's the only option.

hope this helps...seriously, you do not want him flooding your apt, not to mention, as he ages, he may start raising his leg to pee, if he's not already. buh bye furniture.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast