Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with decision to crate train new puppy?!?!?!

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Need help with decision to crate train new puppy?!?!?!

Advertisements
    We are getting our new boxer puppy in 2 weeks! I think he'll be about 8 wks old by then. Is it ok to put him in his crate when I go to work for about 5 hrs while I go to work??? Or is it better to confine him in the kitchen with a puppy gate and put down some newspaper?????
    I'm not quite sure what is best!!!

Here's kinda how my schedule will work with the puppy...

Leave for work at 7AM...
    Come home around 12:15PM for my hr lunch...
    Come home from work anytime between 5:30PM and 6PM...

The above schedule will only happen 3x week as my other 2 days at work I will leave at 7AM for work, but then be home at 12noon for the rest of the day.

Thanks in advance! I just want to make sure I do what'll be best for the puppy and help with housetraining when he's able to!
  2. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It doesn't sound like you're going to have alot of time... are you sure this is something that you want to do? It's not fair to have a puppy if he/she is not going to be getting enough attention.
  3. Senior Member
    I think DH and I always put our dog in the crate. The newspaper can be such a mess to clean up because puppies like to chew.

4. Do fairytales ever come true?
    Do fairytales ever come true?
    Virginia Beach Va (hubby is on USS Bataan)
    Blog Entries
    i would suggest crate training. it will help in the long run. we have had a few dogs if you need any more tips let me know. boxers are tough

[/url]
  5. ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    ...it seemed like a good idea at the time...
    i would personally put up a gate to the kitchen and put down some newspapers/pee pads, my dog used to be abused and left in his kennel 24/7...weve had him for about 5 months and hes just now realized that he can go into his kennel by himself cause we will be coming back to let him out, and it breaks my heart everytime i have to put him in there
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by mraynee88 View Post
    It doesn't sound like you're going to have alot of time... are you sure this is something that you want to do? It's not fair to have a puppy if he/she is not going to be getting enough attention.
    i only work long days 3 days a week... and plan to come home during lunch on those days to take care of him. my other 2 days a week i only work in the morning and have all afternoon/evening for the puppy. we have been talking about a dog for about 6 months now and have really considered the amount of work it is going to take and we are ready for it. but i do have to work. there are plenty of people who work and are able to successfully care for a dog/puppy.
  7. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    I would crate train him personally. 5 hours isn't too long for a puppy to hold its bladder but you kind of have to play it by ear depending on the dog
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

if you leave a puppy loose in the kitchen with news paper all the puppy will do is go to the bathroom all over the floor and eat the news paper.

Keeping the puppy in the crate while you're not there is the way to go, but the problem is going to be when the puppy is still that young he/she will not have the bladder or bowel control to go that long, so there will be accidents in the crate. In all honesty, the puppy needs someone to be there to take them out more often that that. You either need to fine a way to come home a few times during the day, or housebreaking your puppy is going to be a nightmare and take a lot longer than it has to. If the puppy is left alone that long... you will be coming home to a mess in the crate probably every day for a while.

Why not look into an older puppy or young adult from a shelter or a rescue who is already housebroken since it appears you don't really have the time needed for a puppy?

Puppy's are a LOT of work and for the first few months they require a LOT of time and attention. That's why so many end up in shelters... people don't realize what they are getting into and then realize they can't handle them or they don't fit into their shedule like they thought it would.
  9. Miss Megan
    Miss Megan
    I suggest the crate... I feel like sometimes it's harder to break a puppy when they have a bunch of room to roam in .. even with pads and stuff.... mine would have just eaten the paper and pissed on the floor.. I know her.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mixpix45 View Post
    I would crate train him personally. 5 hours isn't too long for a puppy to hold its bladder but you kind of have to play it by ear depending on the dog

It is definitely too long for an 8 week old puppy.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast