Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Shepherd Help

1. I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    Blog Entries

Australian Shepherd Help

Advertisements
    Just would like some opinions from those who have had Aussies for years

So I have an Aussie back at my mom and dad's place (they have 5 acres with an underground fence), she does really well there and loves it. I was just talking to mom today and she would like me to take Mystick back when I can, because her and dad like to travel and it's becoming harder to make arrangements for the dog when they're gone. She was born August 1, 2004, so I guess that makes her about 4 1/2 now and I know she still has energy, but how do you think she'll do in a fenced backyard? I realize she can't stay outside in the heat and all that of Florida, I'm just worried about having her as an inside dog while we're gone when she's so use to being outside with freedom.

When I first got her, as a puppy, and she was in an outside crate she figured out how to dig out of it. When I had her inside the apartment she found a way out of her crate. She dug up carpet and chewed everything when she was a puppy. I know I didn't exercise her enough back then and I know that I HATE running, maybe I could train her to run along side DB (right now she's too stop and go because she doesn't go on walks and everything on a walk is so new she has to stop and smell).

I just don't want to move her all the way down to Florida and then find out that we have to take her back to Ohio because she needs the 5 acres. Any ideas? Comments? Concerns?
  2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    you need to pm jennygirl
  3. I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    Blog Entries
    Off to find Jennygirl
  4. Senior Member
    My Dh says: Aussies need to be excersized, but they are highly trainable so she would be able to learn the walking/running. If you can devote, or your Dh can devote, the time to walking/running with her each day she should be fine.

It will be an adjustment for everyone, Aussie included, but with patitence adn persitance I'm sure the whole family could be happy.
  5. I am a Pielott.. Pylot... Pilote... I FLY PLANES
    Blog Entries
    I know she's super smart.. she learned the invisible fence in like two days.. I guess i'm just worried about leaving her home all day (I have no idea what my work schedule or his school schedule is gonna be).. if I leave her in the back yard (if I get one with shade) i'd worry about her digging her way out and then she's gone.. or if I leave her in the house would she tear everything up..
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Well, I think if you just gave her a little bit she would learn any manners that you wanted her to. You might have to deal with some things being destroyed. But I bet she'd eventually get the hang of what you wanted. My current aussie is sooo smart. She stays outside during the day and comes in at night. But after she got used to being inside she is very well mannered and I haven't had any problems with her...well I say that, but at times she does get ahold of my underwear and chew through it, but that's the only thing I have to watch. I'm sure she would pick up running with your DB quickly. Especially when she doesn't have 5 acres to exercise herself on anymore.

Long story short, I think with a lil time that she'd be able to make the transition perfectly.
  7. Senior Member
    My MIL has them. She lives on an 8 acre farm but the Aussie is confined to about a half acre fenced in backyard. When she decides not to jump the fence and take off on walkabout, that is. Sonya's older now, but still manages to find her way out. She works well with the horses and is highly trained just sometimes takes a notion to run off for a bit. No fence so far has stopped her. She's crate trained and loves hanging out in the basement in her crate during the day. MIL has no air conditioning. She has never destroyed any property out of boredom.
  8. every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    Both of my Aussies have been very very headstrong. Laila learned how to jump our 5 ft fence and our 6 ft gate like it wasn't even there. Laila was extremely smart and would pick up anything you taught her very quickly. She also had selective hearing lol. They are awesome dogs but they require a lot of attention. They are very energetic and need lots of exercise. Laila would also dig under our fence. She dug so many holes all over the place. It was hard to keep her in the fence. One night she got out and was hit and killed by a car. That was the worst night of my life. I thought I had fixed all of the spots but she still got out. I am not trying to scare you just help you to see how much time and attention they need. I hope this helped a little bit.
    We need a miracle!

gofund.me/hcjj54

9. every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    every love story is beautiful, but ours is my favorite
    Oh and I would highly recommend crate training her. I would not leave her outside if you aren't home. Laila and Lilly are both crate trained. Lilly my new aussie puppy does not go outside unless I am out there with her.
    We need a miracle!

gofund.me/hcjj54

10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We are an aussie family! We have one from the Briarbrook line (the same line that won the aussie at westminster)...His dad was a whackjob and well the one singleton, we got!

He is about 4 now and he IS VERY HYPER!! So here are my suggestions...

If you have a fenced yard that would help you out. And its going to be fine for her, they dont need a special amount of acres!

You need to make she is excersized physically and mentally! We are now just getting ready to compete with ours. We are so behind but he totally got his dads genes!

We crate trained ours, though im sure he would be fine out of the crate but we dont take the chance.

I think she will do wonderful...Just give her the attention and the excersize she needs! Maybe start looking for some serious obedience (we do rally and agility..I would love to do herding!) It makes a serious difference!
    Are you scrappy enough for me
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast