Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: puppy people PLEASE help me!

1. Senior Member

puppy people PLEASE help me!

Advertisements
    tips and tricks for potty training and or kenneling. im going bonkers and its only day two. i have a list of instructions from my roomate but heres the deal
    i take her outside to go potty i can sit out there for half an hour and nothing she comes inside walks over to the pee pad walks away and pees on the floor. everytime shes inside she does the same walks over sits on the pee pad walks away and pees on the floor. HOW do i get her to stop doing this:S and is she ever going to stop whining all hours of the night and day if shes in the crate. im sorry but i need at least two hours of sleep and im SO not getting them right now I dont know how my roomate is functioning well enough to go to work. any help would be great I obviously have no idea what im doing ive always had outside dogs that came inside but knew to tell us when they needed to go outside. im aware its a puppy and its going to take a lot of work but seriously i look like this guy

2. Senior Member
    How old is the puppy?
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Crap - wrong thread - disregard
  4. Senior Member
    10 weeks i think...? its my roomates puppy i just get to be puppy nanny while shes at work...babies are easier at least they where diapers

5. Banned
    Banned
    That's a tough one. This will sound weird, but as soon as you see her squat to pee elsewhere, pick her up, midpeestream and everything, and put her on the pad. Don't scold her, that confuses them because then they think peeing itself is bad. To them, carpet is no different from pee pad and grass.

As she's peeing on the pee pad, praise her like she just won you the lottery.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldilockz View Post
    That's a tough one. This will sound weird, but as soon as you see her squat to pee elsewhere, pick her up, midpeestream and everything, and put her on the pad. Don't scold her, that confuses them because then they think peeing itself is bad. To them, carpet is no different from pee pad and grass.

As she's peeing on the pee pad, praise her like she just won you the lottery.
    by the time i get up shes already peed on the floor she like runs and squats its weird but ill try:S this last time i picked her up and put her on the pad and just made her sit there for a bit. yesterday she peed in the same spot three times...:S thanks i will try what you suggested

7. Senior Member
    OK..so at 10 weeks their bladders are super small and they really can't hold much. The whole what goes in must come out theory applies here. LOL

If you want to crate train, which is fabulous IMO, get a crate that will accomodate her at full size BUT that has a divider in it. Most wire crates do. Then you want to make a space in the crate just big enough for her to stand up, turn around and lay down in. Most dogs (not all mind you) won't pee where they sleep, if you make the crate bigger, she will just pee in the back of it.

Take her out every 1/2 hour wether you think she needs to go or not. If she wees on the pad, take the pad out to the grass too, eventually you can remove the pee pads and she will go on the grass. I agree with the mid stream thing, if she is peeing pick her up, place her on the pad, praise the heck out of her and go from there.
  8. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Blog Entries
    Did you try putting a cover over her crate at night? Sometimes that helps the puppy calm down and fall asleep, as well as giving her a chew toy, or something might help.

As for the potty training, when my puppies were young, I would take them outside to potty, give them about 5 minutes outside, and if they didn't go, they had to come back inside and go in their crate for about twenty min, then I would repeat. I wouldn't allow her access to the house, UNLESS she has gone outside, and you're pretty sure she's done. KWIM?

Good luck hun!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RunAwayLove View Post
    by the time i get up shes already peed on the floor she like runs and squats its weird but ill try:S this last time i picked her up and put her on the pad and just made her sit there for a bit. yesterday she peed in the same spot three times...:S thanks i will try what you suggested
    Try putting the pee pad where she has peed at, her scent is there so she may use it. You can also get a leash and keep her leashed next to you so if she starts to whine or fidget take her out right away.
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Try putting the pee pad where she has peed at, her scent is there so she may use it. You can also get a leash and keep her leashed next to you so if she starts to whine or fidget take her out right away.
    I was just getting ready to type this
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast