Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Oh No! Help!

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Oh No! Help!

Advertisements
    I just caught Scarlet eating a maxi pad! I can only find about half of it. How worried should I be? She weighs like 25lbs. I don't even know where she got it from! I'm freaking out...
  2. Senior Member

3. Senior Member
    I know your OP was early this AM, but I wanted to offer this in case it would still be helpful...

My dog is a SERIOUS pain when it comes to getting into things he shouldn't. He's stealthy too. I watch this little bugger like a hawk...and yet he STILL get's into stuff once in a great while. One time I didn't get something back from him and was all freaked out.

I called the vet and here is what I was told...

If it's not something that you think is going to "seriously obstruct their bowels" (which to be honest, I doubt a maxi will) watch them for a the afternoon...Eating drinking...urinating, defecating...All the fun stuff...Just make sure they're doing it when they should. If it makes you feel more comfortable and you can, feed her some string beans. This helps move anything along that may be in her digestive tract. You won't see anything come out right away, but just watch her...If she seems uncomfortable or in pain...Call the vet.

She should be fine though. Sorry you had that stressful thing happen... for you and furbaby.
  4. Senior Member
    Yes...you should be concerned. A maxi pad is ment to absorb liquids and since she is so small it could very well obstruct her. You need to call YOUR vet and talk to them. We had a dog come in that at foam ear plugs, it's a concern.

Has she passed anything today?? Is she eating and drinking normally? Having normal stool and urine? Vomiting?
  5. Captain's Wife
    Captain's Wife
    Blog Entries
    ah....well my little shi tzu ate a tampons once....ew! i had to reach down her throat and pull it out....ugh....dont worry dogs eat lots of random stuff....lets just hope it comes out!
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I ended up calling the vet. He said to just watch her, make sure she's eating, and passing things normally. No need for an x-ray or anything just yet. I know tampons are really bad since they expand so much... but I wasn't sure about pads. They're absorbent, but they don't expand really.

I think we're going to avoid any walks/exercise today just to make sure she doesn't get dehydrated. I'm still clueless about where she got it from though.