Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok so really how much work its it?

1. God loves you and so do I!!!
    God loves you and so do I!!!

Ok so really how much work its it?

Advertisements
    To have a puppy/dog? The kids continue to ask for one.. but we really want to be sure we can handle it.. especially with the new baby coming.. I see so many people get pets and then they have to give them away.. We dont want that.. if we get one we want him to be part of our family forever.. We would like to get a puppy so that he can grow up with the kids.. but I really want the down low.. Is it really expensive to keep one.. also I dont know about having a puppy in my house.. I just always hear about pet hair and stuff. but then I would hate for it to stay outside all the time.. so are they easy to keep clean, and clean up after, does it cost alot per month to feed them? and what kinds of things besides food do u have to buy for them every month? thanks in advance
  2. Am
    You can get dogs that don't shed. You just have to have them groomed instead.

It doesn't cost a lot to feed smaller dogs. The first two years of shots can be pricey and they do need heartworm pills, vaccines, etc. It's not too bad though. We're college students and manage to house/feed a 75lb dog. It's manageable and more than worth it.
  3. Senior Member
    puppies are really hard. i wouldn't get a puppy if you have a new baby on the way...i had a hard enough time raising a puppy when she was the only thing i had to take care of.

maybe a young dog from a shelter that is already housetrained would be easier? you can still get a young one, maybe a year old or so. that's what i would recommend. a puppy is like raising another child in many aspects.

in terms of food, the costs all depend on the size of the dog. my 13 pound dog only costs $15 a month to feed, but big dogs can cost in the hundreds.
  4. Banned
    Banned
    Training and house breaking a puppy is a lot of work and stress, depending on the puppy, and I wouldn't recommend a puppy if you have a baby in the house for various reasons. Vet bills can be high or low, again depending on the puppy and his/her health. There are breeds that shed very little or don't shed at all.

What energy level do you want the dog to have as a grown dog? Size? Temperament?
  5. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    You have to have the time to get it out for a couple of (at minimum) 10 minute walks each day. You have to pay attention to them and get them outside to pee and poop because they don't care if they pee on grass, sand, or your brand new carpeting.

They will get into everything so you have to watch out for that.

Basically getting a puppy is like having a newborn baby. It takes a lot of work and a lot of attention and with several children and a new baby on the way? I would not recommend it.
  6. Am
    If you decide on a dog, this might help you pick a breed.
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/search.htm
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Getting a puppy you have to be prepared right away to get a crate, food, food and water dishes, collar, leash and some toys. I'd also suggest Natures Miracle to clean up accidents while they are being house broken. You also need to have money set aside for all of the first puppy vaccines. There is a series of them during the first several months.

There are some low shedding breeds, but there are only a few. Most breeds shed, as long as you brush them regularly you can drastically cut down on the amount of fur in the house. Vaccuming once a day works fine for us.

Housetraining is the most challenging part. You have to be prepared to take a puppy out very often (every half hour at first and then as they get better you can go longer) and you have to be prepared to clean up many accidents while they are learning.

It takes a lot of work, but it's worth it in the end. You just have to stick it out and really put the effort in to have a great family pet.

I got a puppy just weeks before I had my 4th son (my kids are all 6 and under). It definitely made it harder, but I also knew what I was getting into since she is not my first dog. She is now 9 months old and she is housebroken and just a great dog. Being that you are new to it, I'd suggest waiting til you're not pregnant anymore and the baby is a little older.

As far as expense it varies greatly depending on the brand of food you feed them and other things. Between food, heartworm preventitive and flea preventitive meds we probably spend around $150/month on both dogs. One is a lab, the other is a tiny little havachon. heartworm and flea meds are an expense you really need to plan for along with the food and vet visits. They are important to the dogs health.
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/a...n_starting.php

That web site should help a ton

It's tons of work I'm not going to lie to you...

Rain, snow, sleet, hail you have to walk your dog. I think every dog should be walked at least 3x a day...and that time should amount up to a hour or so. Some dogs also need hard play as well. It all depends on the dog you pick.

It's not cheap either. I would get ready to spend $200.00 plus a year(this is without emergency's) at the vet and $30.00 or so each month on toys & food.

(My dog had to have knee surgery and that was $2,000 plus)

I hope that site helps!

If your kids are really willing to help I think it would be great for them!
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirll View Post
    http://www.cesarmillaninc.com/tips/a...n_starting.php

That web site should help a ton

It's tons of work I'm not going to lie to you...

Rain, snow, sleet, hail you have to walk your dog. I think every dog should be walked at least 3x a day...and that time should amount up to a hour or so. Some dogs also need hard play as well. It all depends on the dog you pick.

It's not cheap either. I would get ready to spend $200.00 plus a year(this is without emergency's) at the vet and $30.00 or so each month on toys & food.

(My dog had to have knee surgery and that was $2,000 plus)

I hope that site helps!

If your kids are really willing to help I think it would be great for them!

What kind of dog are you only spending $30 a month on food and toys? Either you're buying the cheapest food available or you have a tiny dog...

ETA: I wanted to add that the first year usually costs more than $200 for vet visits because of all of the puppy vaccines. Also as a responsible pet owner, the puppy should be fixed when they are old enough. I also wanted to ask carolinagirll, don't you give at least heartworm meds to your dog monthly?
  10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    What kind of dog are you only spending $30 a month on food and toys? Either you're buying the cheapest food available or you have a tiny dog...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast