Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Dog Parks

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Dog Parks

Advertisements
    I took Scarlet tonight, as a part of her hardcore exercise plan this week. I had never been before, and was kind of nervous. Scarlet has selective hearing when it comes to listening to me. There was only one other dog there, so it wasn't a big deal tonight... but if she doesn't listen to my command well, should I not be taking her? She knows all the normal commands, she just doesn't always listen.

I don't want to be "that" person with the dog that won't listen, ruining things for everyone else. She's really good with other dogs and other people. Am I just worrying too much about it? I new to this sort of thing.
  2. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Let her go. We go to ours quite a lot. And our dog doesn't really pay attention to us either, and either do most of the dogs, it's a running joke. They're out there having fun, the last thing they want to do is be with us, after being around us all day everyday.

My DH is SUCH a dog person and tries to play with our dog there, and call her to him to play with her and she doesn't listen really, she's off gallivanting

And our ours there's this big tented deck with chairs, and benches all over the park where people just sit and watch and let the dogs do what they're going to do.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Thank you... I needed to hear that from someone else.

I just had a picture in my head of me running around screaming at her to sit and being laughed at by anyone there. As long as the laughing is all in fun... and not them thinking I'm a horrible dog owner, then I'm cool!
  4. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    Thank you... I needed to hear that from someone else.

I just had a picture in my head of me running around screaming at her to sit and being laughed at by anyone there. As long as the laughing is all in fun... and not them thinking I'm a horrible dog owner, then I'm cool!
    Unless your dog is going to attack someone/dog.. or maybe hump another dog, you have nothing to worry about, about controlling her.

At mine, I've never really seen anything go wrong.. once or twice a dog or 2 got out of control. But that's about it. My dog has gotten on top of the picknick tables a few times, and if she hears us telling her to get down she will, but if she's to far, we'll come over to her to to tell her, if she hasn't already done so. People are usually totally cool with it, because if they're going to be uptight ect, ya shouldn't be at a dog park lol [thats what DH tells me]

Our dog park is on a the river or w/e it is lol, and they go in there and run around up on the deck and get people wet and everyone is always fine with it. haha

Takes some pics too!

KennyB = Greatness!
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Trust me my DH and I take our dog to the dog park and he's fine, he never listens to us either haha. Its the other dogs you have to worry about, some can get aggressive :/
  6. Doin' It All On My Own...
    Doin' It All On My Own...
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveDisappears View Post
    Let her go. We go to ours quite a lot. And our dog doesn't really pay attention to us either, and either do most of the dogs, it's a running joke. They're out there having fun, the last thing they want to do is be with us, after being around us all day everyday.

My DH is SUCH a dog person and tries to play with our dog there, and call her to him to play with her and she doesn't listen really, she's off gallivanting

And our ours there's this big tented deck with chairs, and benches all over the park where people just sit and watch and let the dogs do what they're going to do.

So I don't think you have anything to worry about.
    I totally agree! I have never seen a person in the dog park really be in control. The ONLY thing i saw in the dog park I didn't like, was this girl was trying to get with these guys on the "big dog" side, well she took her PUPPY into the big dog side and the big dogs kept abusing the puppy. She wouldn't even protect the puppy from the big dogs. She kept saying "he has to learn sometime" couldn't believe it So I wouldn't worry about your puppy as long as you don't do something retarded like that.

Enjoy it though! They are soo much fun!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    awww yeah did she like it!

I think as long as your dog "plays well with others" you have won half the battle at the dog park.

Any small training on the side should help her listen too. Treats on hand at the dog park will help for sure.
    Last edited by carolinagirll; 03-05-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: sp
  8. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirll View Post

I think as long as your dog "plays well with others" you have one half the battle at the dog park.

Any small training on the side should help her listen too. Treats on hand at the dog park will help for sure.
    Treats.. might get you A LOT of attention. A girl there had some and the dogs would NOT leave her alone, it was nuts LOL

KennyB = Greatness!
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carolinagirll View Post

I think as long as your dog "plays well with others" you have won half the battle at the dog park.

She loved it. She gets to play with other dogs often... but no one we know have fenced in yards, so it's been awhile since she was off leash. My heart melted watching her run like a crazy! She was running so fast she kept falling on her face!