Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Just get rid of her then"

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

"Just get rid of her then"

Advertisements
    My puppy has been a nightmare this last week or so. DH is no help when talking about what we should be doing, his answer to everything is "just get rid of her then". Wrong! I am fully aware that the problem is us, not her. I'm looking into training, but we have some other expenses that take priority for now... so I thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

1) When let her out of her crate, she looses her mind. She runs, jumps, barks, she honestly looks like she's on speed. She's too fast for us to grab her paws when she jumps. When we get home while she's in her crate, she's calm and quiet. She's never the first thing I attend to when I get home. Also, I make her sit while I unlock it and won't let her out until she's sitting and quiet. No matter how calm she seems though, once the door opens all hell breaks loose. We had just been ignoring her with the hopes she'd calm down.. but it doesn't seem to help. This happens regardless if we are gone for hours or only a few minutes.

2) She's taken to stealing things. Usually mail/paper or shoes. Today she went as far as taking something right out of my hands, bolting away, and hiding. When we yell she's submissive and drops whatever she has, but the damage is usually done and she won't come out of hiding. Plus, I'm sick of screaming at her all the time.

I need help. Today she was so bad I locked myself in the bedroom and cried... granted I was in a mood today too.

Tips/Advice?
  2. Am
    She seems bored and full of energy. How often do you walk her?

3. Banned
    Banned
    Are you giving her enough excersize and attention?
  4. Senior Member
    Puppy school would help too!!
  5. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post
    She seems bored and full of energy. How often do you walk her?

Quote Originally Posted by jennypage View Post
    Are you giving her enough excersize and attention?
    I walk her at least 20mins a day, play fetch all the time. I'm home all day with her, no kids. DH wrestles with her every night. She plays with the neighbors dogs often too. I don't know what else to be doing, she a lot more active then any other dog I've had before so this feels like alot to me.. but maybe I'm wrong.
  6. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    Both of are dogs are the same way with the crate. Well one is quiet when we get home, the other is barking/jumping in her cage. When we let them both out, they bolt out of there and are just SO happy we're home and to be out I guess.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  7. Senior Member
    A couple of ideas...when she is really hyper after coming out of the crate, make sure you give her something to keep her occupied instead of just running around like crazy--maybe a kong or a chew toy. And then praise her for good behavior.

With the stealing, she might be doing it because she knows it is a good way to get your attention. Sometimes it is best to just ignore her the first few times she does it, and then redirect her attention as soon as she has lost interest in whatever she has taken. I know that with my dog yelling at her actually reaffirms her behavior because she gets the attention she wanted.

My dog is crazy hyper and for the first few years of her life she was always tearing stuff up, but I learned the best way to combat the behavior was to not give her the attention she wanted when she was causing trouble, and to praise her when she was displaying good behavior. And of course always redirecting her attention with something that was "acceptable" for her to keep occupied, because she needed SOMETHING to get all the energy out.
  8. Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Super Grammar Girl to the rescue!
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post
    I walk her at least 20mins a day, play fetch all the time. I'm home all day with her, no kids. DH wrestles with her every night. She plays with the neighbors dogs often too. I don't know what else to be doing, she a lot more active then any other dog I've had before so this feels like alot to me.. but maybe I'm wrong.
    20 mins isn't a lot, especially for an active puppy or active dog breed. I would try raising it to at least an hour, minimum.

You need to stimulate her with interesting things to do, like a sandbox to play in. A kong with peanut butter inside. A rope toy with something attached that makes it fun to drag around.

It honestly sounds like she isn't getting enough attention and exercise.

ETA: Have you seen "it's me or the dog" with Victoria Stillwell on Animal Planet? It's got a lot of great trips to help train your fur baby out of those bad habits.

Good Luck!
    PLAN: The only four letter word the Army doesn't use. -Me
    "If we were a CD, I'd put us on shuffle and repeat." - DH

Quote Originally Posted by eelo View Post
    Being part of "the military family" will really teach you to reduce your expectations of being kissed while you're getting f****d.
  9. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    LOTS of walking. and make her do things during the walk- like make her sit and wait before you cross a road or something. teach her tricks. sit. off, down, up (from a down position to a sit position).

when she JUMPS on you-dont grab paws, just bring your knee up into her chest. dont even say a word to her either.

is she the pup in your avatar? a beagle or hound looking dog? if so-then they need LOTS of exercise. if you can run-go for a jog with her. if you have a treadmill-teach her to walk on that.

If you have a bike, take her for jogs off that. but 20 minutes a day isnt anything at all.

When getting her out of her kennel-try attaching a lead to her. when she gets out of there, make her work. make her sit, lay down, wait, etc etc. keep her on her lead for at least 10 minutes before you let her off- if she's not potty trained-take her outside promptly-let her potty then run around with her.

Toys are good for her-the kong is a great thing to have. if you dont want to do PB in fear of a mess-get dog biscuits and shove them in. that will keep her busy. lots of toys.

one easy toy is a laser pointer...they are FUN-just try not to do it more than 10 minutes a day (sometimes dogs get addicted to it, then they start chasing after ANY kind of moving light).

another thing is puppy play dates! find other frineds near you with puppies or dogs, and take her and let them romp around! at one time, i had two labs, and they would romp and play ALL the time-and seriously, they could go 10 hours with each other, and the minute i took them to see another dog, they could go another 5 hours, then come home and crash.....

another thing-make sure her food is on a schedule. twice a day, same time roughly each day.
    ~Ashley

10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by kitkat View Post

She needs at least 1 hour a day. She is a hunting dog..they have WAY more energy then you think. They are made to chase rabbits. Also since she is a hunting dog they tend to just pick up stuff you may need to buy baby gates and keep him / her in one area.

One week of HARD play. See what happens.

The Beagle is a breed of small to medium-sized dog. A member of the Hound Group, it is similar in appearance to the Foxhound but smaller, with shorter legs and longer, softer ears. Beagles are scent hounds, developed primarily for tracking hare, rabbit, and other game. They have a keen sense of smell and tracking instinct that sees them employed as detection dogs for prohibited agricultural imports and foodstuffs in quarantine around the world. They are popular as pets because of their size, even temper, and lack of inherited health problems. These characteristics also make them the dog of choice for animal testing.

Although beagle-type dogs have existed for over 2,000 years, the modern breed was developed in Britain around the 1830s from several breeds, including the Talbot Hound, the North Country Beagle, the Southern Hound, and possibly the Harrier.

Beagles have been depicted in popular culture since Elizabethan times in literature and paintings, and latterly in film, television and comic books. Snoopy of the comic strip Peanuts has been promoted as "the world's most famous beagle".[1]
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast