Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: dogs and airplanes

1. Senior Member

dogs and airplanes

Advertisements
    Im moving back to Fl with my 2 dogs. We're in HI now, and when we flew here it was only from SD...so a 6 hr flight. Both dogs had to go through 120day quarentine because they were too young for all the necessary shots and blood work.
    I havent booked the travel ticket yet, but....im concerned about them flying all the way back to FL...thats a LONG flight. 6 or more hrs to where ever our layover is at, and then another 4-6 hrs to tampa. Will they be ok?? Theyre both short nosed breeds and ive heard that they have a hard time breathing while in flight. I even found a news article that said an eng bulldog(which is what we have) died during the flight (didnt give specific reasons though.) They are crate trained and know how to hold their bladder, but...i dont know if they can wait that long i dont want them to go in their crate during the flight
    And, one more question if anyone knows. They already did the 120day Q, but when we come back here to HI from Fl (a year later) they wouldnt have to go through Q again, right? as long as they have all shots and blood work that is needed? I tried calling the Animal Quarentine, but no one answered.
  2. Happy wife...happy life!
    Happy wife...happy life!
    If you follow the quarantine guidelines, you may be able to do the 5-day or less! http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

What airline will you be flying on?! I've heard AWESOME things about Continental's PetSafe program!
  3. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
    If you follow the quarantine guidelines, you may be able to do the 5-day or less! http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/aqs/info

What airline will you be flying on?! I've heard AWESOME things about Continental's PetSafe program!
    thanks! yeah i tried finding info on their webpage, but i'd rather hear it froma person lol. Im gonna keep trying to call them.
    I think we'll be flying American. The continental thing sounds pretty cool, though.
    thanks
  4. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I'm very interested in this thread. I know that someday we will have to fly back to the States with our mini doxie and I am curious as to how it works.

I read somewhere that the airlines do not want the animals to be sedated for the trip so how do the animals handle it?

I mean, to fly from South Korea to the States is a good 14 hour flight!! Not to mention all the time prior to boarding the plane.

And if I am able to take my dog in the plane with me, rather than in cargo, do I take it to the bathroom and let her potty in there (on the floor)?

I am clueless on this whole thing!
  5. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    I'll be watching this thread as well...

6. The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    The military, beaches, horses and dogs are my life
    no, the animals are NOT allowed out of the kennels.

in the cargo area-the pets are in a pressurized area, just like we are up in the cabin.

to the OP, sometimes you can sweet talk some airline folks to take the dogs out on walks for potty breaks-but IDK about your bullies. you really should look into seeing when you are flying, because i know bullies arent allowed to fly from spring-fall because of the weather.

Im going to fly INTO hawaii this summer with my lab-i had three plans lined up for my dog. the first was ship him to AZ and let him stay with a friend for a day or two (to break up the flight). or fly non stop to san diego with my dog and stay the night with a friend, or DRIVE to san diego...ship my dog, and get a 1 way to hawaii. im pretty sure im opting for the third trip (FROM ohio).... so he's on the plane for MAX 7 hours (pre boarding, the flight and unloading...

and yes, go to the hawaii quarantine thing, and it tells you about how to leave and come back with pets to hawaii..
    ~Ashley

7. Banned
    Banned
    from continental regarding short nosed breeds:::

Brachycephalic (Short-Nosed) Dog Breeds
    Extra care is required when the following breeds are shipped because they often have hereditary respiratory problems. These animals are susceptible to increased risk of heat stroke and breathing problems when exposed to stress or extreme heat:

Boston Terrier
    Boxer
    Brussels Griffin
    Bull Terrier
    Dutch Pug
    English Bulldog
    English Toy Spaniel
    French Bulldog
    Japanese Chin
    Japanese Pug
    Pekinese
    Shih Tzu
    On the recommendation of our consulting veterinarian, Continental Airlines will now require the following to reduce stress and heat exposure when shipping or handling the above-mentioned breeds:

Use 1 size larger kennel than is normally required
    Use a kennel with ventilation on 4 sides. (If the kennel does not have ventilation on 4 sides, modify the kennel by drilling 7 holes in the rear top and 7 holes in the rear bottom of the kennel using a 3/4 inch keyhole bit).
    Acclimate the animal to the kennel by letting the animal spend time in the kennel for several days before its departure
    Do not place food in the kennel during the flight, just water
    Provide plenty of water to the animal. Frozen water bottles with tiny holes punched in the sides make a great watering tool for several hours when placed in the kennel's watering dish.
  8. Banned
    Banned
  9. Senior Member
    I flew with my dachshund from Oklahoma City to Seattle with a two hour layover which made it a total of almost 9 hours including the taxi ride to the airport and getting the airport early for security etc...I took him to the vet the week before to get a health certificate, and I asked the vet about sedatives, and she told me to give him Benadryl instead, it makes them sleepy but doesn't knock them out. Also unlike sedatives or tranquilizers there aren't any lasting effects, so there was less of a chance of my dog being quarantined when we reached Seattle...I gave my 9 pound dog 9mg, its 1mg/pound...I can't remember how many mg per pill there are...Also no food or water the day of...I know it sounds bad, but my dachshund was fine! Hungry and thirsty but fine! I took him on as a carry-on and the flight attendants were REALLY strict about him staying in his bag under the seat...I don't see you having any problems bringing your dogs back into the states form Hawaii, as long as you have all their certificates, etc...Good luck! Oh! And I let him walk around the airport on his leash...Hes really well behaved and no one said anything to me...All that walking helped wear him out too!