Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: All you horse people

1. Banned
    Banned

Nutts All you horse people

Advertisements
    Ok, what if you had an opportunity for a FREE horse, yes I said FREE... He is 100% perfect, just the owner has NO time for him... Too top it off, he is a Warmblood.... He has shown dressage, but much to tense for that, so he'd make a perfect western pleasure....
    Here are Hal's pics.....

What would you do????

Decisions!!!
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If I could afford him and had a place for him.....had the time for him.....I would take him in a heartbeat!
  3. Psych Student by Day..
    Psych Student by Day..
    I would!

Thank you for my siggy Stacey!
    He's home from Iraq!
  4. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Well, given the ideal situation, I'd jump at the chance. Warmblood horses are beautiful, and judging from the pictures he's been trained well. How did he turn out in his dressage classes? Does he trailer well? How bulletproof is he? If things were perfect I'd totally go for it. Given my current situation though, I wouldn't take it. Aside from having to trailer a horse across the country when we leave, we just couldn't afford to stable and care for one at this point. The plan is to own LAND, when all is said and done, because we will own horses one day and to be blunt - boarding SUUUUCKS. It's the transfer though that I would worry about if I were you - dealing with moving him to your next duty station.
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
  5. Senior Member
    He's GORGEOUS!!! My dad has horses and they are a lot of work but just as much a reward. I say as long as you know what you're getting into, and it seems like you do, go for it!
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Blog Entries
    If I knew I had the time to ride, groom, a place to board *or enough land for another horse* The money to feed him, they yes I would take him. What about when your husband is up for orders? Horses can move across the country, but it can be rough on them too. What if you wind up somewhere other than where you want to go? Not trying to disuade you in any way... just throwing out my random thoughts

For us, the only way we will get a 4th horse, is if it is totally kid broke. I dont need another one I have to break to ride, or one that is adult ridden. We have 3 of those now
  7. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Lighthouse Girl
    Well, given the ideal situation, I'd jump at the chance. Warmblood horses are beautiful, and judging from the pictures he's been trained well. How did he turn out in his dressage classes? Does he trailer well? How bulletproof is he? If things were perfect I'd totally go for it. Given my current situation though, I wouldn't take it. Aside from having to trailer a horse across the country when we leave, we just couldn't afford to stable and care for one at this point. The plan is to own LAND, when all is said and done, because we will own horses one day and to be blunt - boarding SUUUUCKS. It's the transfer though that I would worry about if I were you - dealing with moving him to your next duty station.

See, I have a barn for him and boarding is not that bad, but the moving in a years time is the bad thing. He trailers well, he is a bit tense for dressage the lady said, and he is pretty sound, but has his moments... I just don't understand, she could stand to make a pretty penny from him... I know when we get to our next duty station were going to be there the rest of dh's career, and I had my mind made up to just use the stable horses and this falls in my lap.....
  8. Senior Member
    If can care for the horse and what not and moving it wouldn't be a problem then go for it.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed

I would do it Heidi-I really would-Good luck sweety!
  10. Death Before Decaf!!
    Death Before Decaf!!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HEIDI
    See, I have a barn for him and boarding is not that bad, but the moving in a years time is the bad thing. He trailers well, he is a bit tense for dressage the lady said, and he is pretty sound, but has his moments... I just don't understand, she could stand to make a pretty penny from him... I know when we get to our next duty station were going to be there the rest of dh's career, and I had my mind made up to just use the stable horses and this falls in my lap.....
    I think every horse "has it's moments". It's not impossible...the move, I mean...just a bit of a pain in the butt. If he trailers well, that is a huge strong point. When you transfer, where are you wanting orders to? You can plan the trip around Hal, you know, plan stops at barns that have night boards available - they're out there. And then there's the added stress of finding a place to keep him when you get where you're going - but if you have enough time to figure it all out before hand, you can have everything already set up.

It would be a major pain in the ass...but WOW a great opportunity If you are willing to do the extra research and planning, then you might just as well go for it. It's an amazing offer
    "Wine is proof that God loves us and wants to see us happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin~
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast