Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maybe you ladies can help. . .

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Maybe you ladies can help. . .

Advertisements
    So I saw someone else do this, and you ladies were such an amazing help. . . So I'm hoping I can ask for some advice.

DH and I are currently living in Hawaii, we will be moving into base housing. And we want to get a dog! I need something that does not shed too much. A little is going to happen, I know that, but I don't want anything over the top! I really want something somewhat protective, but not too much, where if we have company they freak out. And we want a med or large breed. I do not work, so I have lots of time to play with him and walk him, I even found a great dog park!!! I just feel overwhelmed by all the dog breeds out there.

Any advice would be wonderful, (goldilocks, you rocked the other thread!)

TIA ladies! You all rock!!
  2. Yes, I am a male
    Yes, I am a male
    Blog Entries

labs have GREAT personalities and are almost always loving
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We are leaning towards a chocolate Lab, but we heard that they shed a lot! and that's the only problem.
  4. Senior Member
    I second the lab recommendation, we've always had some kind of lab mix.
  5. Senior Member
    We have a golden retriever. Shes the best dog. Everything we could ask for in a family pet. She does shed a lot though.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    We have a golden retriever. Shes the best dog. Everything we could ask for in a family pet. She does shed a lot though.
    yeah, I think they are absolutely beautiful dogs too! But I'm allergic to dogs , and normally my allergy meds that my doc gives me is enough, and I never notice, but if there's too much shedding, for some reason it makes it a lot worse!!
  7. Finding my own path!
    Finding my own path!
    Blog Entries
    We adopted both our girls at the Hawaii Humane Society. Took a few weeks as the pups go really fast down there, but we couldn't afford to shell out 1200 for a lab puppy which is the avg cost for them there.

Maycie is a lab/sharpei mix. Her hair is short and while she does shed it vacuums very easily. Sophie is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/hound of some kind. She sheds as well but not terrible and being home all day like I was I just vacuumed once a day and dusted and the shedding was never a problem. They are both very mild tempered but do know to protect me and the house. They are great with company and great with kids! They are both crate trained as well. Aside from Sophie's allergies they are both in EXCELLENT physical condition and have no major health problems (Sophie's allergies are COMPLETELY under control now).

I would suggest checking out the humane society! Never know what you might find and you will have the opportunity to play with them beforehand!!

These are my monsters! LOL!! Sophie is brown and Maycie is black!

Every Ending is Another Beginning!!!!
    "For I know the plans I have for you", Says the Lord. Jeremiah 29:11
    The cup of shite runneth over...
  8. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post
    We adopted both our girls at the Hawaii Humane Society. Took a few weeks as the pups go really fast down there, but we couldn't afford to shell out 1200 for a lab puppy which is the avg cost for them there.

Maycie is a lab/sharpei mix. Her hair is short and while she does shed it vacuums very easily. Sophie is a Rhodesian Ridgeback/hound of some kind. She sheds as well but not terrible and being home all day like I was I just vacuumed once a day and dusted and the shedding was never a problem. They are both very mild tempered but do know to protect me and the house. They are great with company and great with kids! They are both crate trained as well. Aside from Sophie's allergies they are both in EXCELLENT physical condition and have no major health problems (Sophie's allergies are COMPLETELY under control now).

I would suggest checking out the humane society! Never know what you might find and you will have the opportunity to play with them beforehand!!

Awesome! Thank you so much!
  9. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnysGirl View Post

Sorry to threadjack, but OMG... I would love to see pictures of Maycie and Sophie.... They both sound so incredibly beautiful.... end threadjack.

edited to add: I just saw the picture you posted... I was right... gorgeous...
    Are you a parent? Ask me how you can help out with my thesis!!
  10. ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    ive never been so alone, and ive never been so alive
    i agree with checking shelters and humane societies.
    "Will you tell me what you saw and I'll tell you what you missed, when the ocean met the sky. "
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast