Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Using lime-sulphur shampoo on cats...

1. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

Confused Using lime-sulphur shampoo on cats...

Advertisements
    Okay, so just before my bf left for his deployment we got a cat from the humane society. It wasn't until after we got home that we noticed a patch of skin on his neck where the hair was gone. We orinigally thought it was from his collar rubbing, but when we went to the vet they told us he more than likely has ringworm. (The tests can take up to 3 weeks to completely verufy it.) Anyway, so he told me to basically clean and vacuume a lot more often, not let him sleep with me, and wash my hands after petting him at all. It hasn't been so bad, and with the oral meds he's been getting, he seems to be doing much better. The hairless spot actually has hair growing on it again and the skin isn't dry and flaky any more. Well, now of top of all that I have to do a lime-sulphur bath every 5 days. It's in a spray bottle so it will be a little easier (he HATES baths), but I still have some concerns that aren't addressed on the bottle. I was hoping someone out there has used this before and could help me out. Here are my questions...

1. It says that it could stain porous surfaces...would this be considered a bathtub? (I'm renting and can't afford to stain anything.)

2. Some websites say to dry him off afterwards and some say specifically not do...?
  2. Senior Member
    Is it a dip? It can stain, if your concerned bathe him in the sink in the kitchen or a large bucket. When we dip at the clinic we use gloves and gowns so we don't get it on us. Also make sure your in a well ventilated room because that stuff STINKS. Can you take the cat to the vet and have them dip him every 6 weeks? Also follow the directions your Vet gave you or the ones on the product bottle you are using not ones off a website. Most times you don't want to dry the pet because you want the medication to dry ON the pet. But you can't let him run around your house because he will stain fabrics the touches until dry.
  3. Senior Member
    Olive (my cat) gets these spots on his back every 3-4 months. The vets have always told me it is just allergies, and a steroid shot usually clears it right up. Are they sure it is ringworm?

4. NDNatlGuardGF
    NDNatlGuardGF

Quote Originally Posted by JustBreathe View Post
    Olive (my cat) gets these spots on his back every 3-4 months. The vets have always told me it is just allergies, and a steroid shot usually clears it right up. Are they sure it is ringworm?
    Not totally sure yet, because the culture takes a while to come back for ringworm. They take a skin scraping and put it in a container with what looks like wax. Then it turns red, usually in a few days, and they let a bacteria-type stuff grow on it. Once that stuff grows they can see if it has the bug that is ringworm or not, but the entire process can take up to three weeks. Munchkin's turned red in about 24 hours which is really quick so they wanted to get him started on the meds right away. We should know any day now, but I'll ask the vet about possible allergies.

He's had some weird reactions to his meds lately too, so I'll probably call as soon as I get off work tonight to be sure. He had blood in his poo yesterday and a few days ago, even after we gave him 2 days off the oral meds. Then I did the sulpher dip yesterday, but had to take the plastic cone off him after it dried because he couldn't get to his water/food with it on. He started licking the dry fur that still had the solution on it and started making a noise like he was ether going to vomit or he had a hair ball. I think I'm going to ask to speak to the other vet there because mine seems to know nothing about ringworm. He was reading me info about the oral meds off the internet the other day!! All I know is if he hurts my kitty by giving him all these meds unnecessarily, he better start running soon and get a head start!

Thanks for the info tho!