Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who is a vet?!?!

1. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    it's almost lake time. I love lake!

Exclamation Who is a vet?!?!

Advertisements
    I think something might be wrong with my puppy!!

Can someone PM me if they can help?

Background: 3 month Shih Tzu. Got her friday. Went to the vet MOnday for a check up. Vet said she seemed great and was a healthy weight.

I was feeding her nitro puppy food, from which the breeder gave me a little baggy. Well I cannot find it anywhere near me...so i suddenly had to switch foods to science diet puppy food. I know make a quick adjustment is not good, but I had no way of getting the nitro.

Anyway, today she barely ate. I give her food 3x a day. Her second feeding i had to put the food in my hand and she gradually would eat out of the bowl. She also has not drank a lot of water. usually she drinks a lot to where i have to refill the bowl 2x a day...well she hasnt even drank half of a bowl. I try to get her to drink but it just doesnt work.

Her poop is a more yellowish color and isnt as firm as it used to be. Not diarreah, but mushier. Plus she lacks energy today too. She usually has sperts of energy every couple of hours but she has yet to do it.

The weather got warm today so it isnt the more comfortable in my apartment, but i have taken her with me in the car to run errands and to cool her off with AC.

She just is being anti social and sleepy. I am worried....she seems hot, but IDK how to tell if she is running a fever.

I feel like a bad mom....
  2. I'm Only A Little Crazy
    I'm Only A Little Crazy
    Does your vet have an on-call vet for after hours? If so, I would call. The bathroom problems could just be coming from switching the food suddenly. She may not like the food.
  3. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

The sudden food switch and change of environment are likely causes. Encourage her to eat and drink and keep an eye on her. If you're still worried tomorrow, call your vet.
  4. Senior Member
    I am no vet but when I bought my papillons from breeders I was warned of a condition called puppy hypoglycemia. Smaller breeds of puppies are very prone to it. I would call your breeder and see if they recommend the Karo syrup or honey.

Here is a little info from the web:

Puppy Hypoglycemia: Low Blood Sugar

Hypoglycemia simply means a low blood sugar. Glucose is the form of sugar found within the bloodstream. Glucose is formed during the digestion of foods and it can be stored within the liver in a storage form called glycogen. Most instances of low blood sugar (hypoglycemia) in the puppy are the result of inadequate nutrition; either not enough or poor quality (undigestible) food. Excessive exercise may also cause the body to use up more sugar than is available.

What are the symptoms?

A puppy with hypoglycemia will lack energy. Glucose (sugar) is the fuel the body burns for energy; without it the puppy is listless. In severe instances, the puppy may even seizure, since glucose is necessary for the brain tissue and muscles to function. These hypoglycemic episodes will cause the puppy to fall over and appear weak or comatose.

What are the risks?

The risks depend on the severity or extent of the lack of blood sugar. If it is due to lack of food or excessive exercise it can be easily corrected. If however, the underlying cause is more serious, such as liver disease preventing the storage of glucose as glycogen, or intestinal disease preventing the proper digestion and/or absorption of food, then hypoglycemia may be chronic and life threatening.

What is the management?

If a puppy is listless due to low blood sugar, it is imperative to immediately provide sugar. Karo syrup and honey are excellent sugar sources and should be fed to the puppy. If the puppy fails to respond to sugar, or the hypoglycemic episodes are frequent, then a thorough exam by a veterinarian is in order. It must be determined if the low blood sugar is simply the result of inadequate nutrition or a more severe underlying disease.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....2+1651&aid=877
  5. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    No they are closed but they gave me a number for their "sister" hospital.

How can you tell if she is running a fever?
  6. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    Quote Originally Posted by mrskmw View Post
    Does your vet have an on-call vet for after hours? If so, I would call. The bathroom problems could just be coming from switching the food suddenly. She may not like the food.
    The vet recommended the food. Do vets recommend food because they are sponsored by the company or do they really think it is best for the dog/puppy?
  7. Senior Member
    I agree with RC (as usual) it could just be the sudden change of environment and food, please keep an eye on her and get her in asap tomorrow if she is continuing.

Also, do not give a puppy ANYTHING over the counter if you are not 100% sure that is the issue, you could worsen a condition with a puppy quickly by doing that.

As far as a fever, the normal range is 99.5 - 102 degrees. Other than taking a dogs rectal temperature ( which I DO NOT recommend unless you have done it before) the myths of the dry nose, feet etc. do not apply. Check the gums, if they are pink usually no fever, if they are any other color there should be concerned. Also with her being lethargic and not drinking, it's possible.

Try to encourage her to drink, even if you have to put some in her mouth.

As far as the food, some vets do recommend certain types because of "kick backs" but there are a lot that recommend because of the quality. You switched to Science Diet Puppy? Did you get a Puppy Kit? Those are usually from the vendor of the food and given out by the clinics. We do kitten and puppy kits from Science Diet at well, but some times we do not recommend the food inside the kits, it depends on the animal.

**disclaimer...I am NOT a Vet..nor do I play one on TV.**
  8. it's almost lake time. I love lake!
    Thanks all! She is doing a lot better now. I layed with her by her food and water until she ate it all and drank a lot.

She has a hair cut tomorrow so that will hopefully cool her down too!
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

My havachon did the same thing when we switched her food when she was younger. She was just being a brat. Since she's not THAT young anymore I wouldn't be too worried. Just set it out, if she doesn't eat it, put it away and feed her again later. If she is hungry, she'll eat. When I told my vet about it he says if you cater to them being like that, they are just training you. As long as she isn't vomiting, having diarrhea or really being lathargic, she's most likely fine.

I had talked to my vet about my little dog refusing to eat anything but the food the large dog was eating. He told me she had me trained and that eventually she would eat. He made the point that when dogs were in the wild they didn't eat every day and that when she was hungry she'd give in and eat her own food.
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    FYI:

If you think your dog is over heating the best way to cool them down fast is put a cold wet towel on their belly. Not too cold

Also until your dog is completely hydrated I would add some chicken broth to the water to encourage him to drink.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast