Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Housebreaking tips....

1. I am a proud chihuahua momma!
    I am a proud chihuahua momma!

Housebreaking tips....

Advertisements
    ......I have finally had enough of the pee pee pads!!!

I am going to walk both of them as much as possible to try and housebreak them (I will still have a pee pad down in the bathroom just in case) but does anyone have any other tips???

I feel a little bad about it because it's still so cold out and they are so small.

P.S. We live in a apartment on the 2nd floor.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Out as soon as they wake and right b4 bed

Out after they eat every time.

Out if you see them walking into a room (looking suspicious)

Last don't bring them in until they have used the BR. They will soon get on a schedule.
  3. Senior Member
    Get rid of the pee pads. That confuses them. Why tell them its ok to pee in the house when it really isn't?

Take them out first thing in the morning, after each meal, after they get a drink and every half an hour in between. Also watch for them to be sniffing around. My pup turns in a circle before she pees, unless shes scared. One thing we did with her was watch her until she went then we'd tell her "Good girl, Good potty outside!!!!" We'd give her treats after she was finished. When shed go in the house we'd tell her "bad girl, no potty" and take her right outside even if we knew she was finished.

Its a lot of work potty training a puppy but keep at it. I've read that by 6 months they should be able to understand the difference between peeing in the house and peeing outside.
  4. Waiting Around
    Waiting Around
    Blog Entries
    I'll be reading this too. our dogs won't go on a pee pad thinking they will get in trouble if they do. We also live in an apartment on the second story.
    ❤️❤️❤️
    Follow Rylee's progress

5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    Get rid of the pee pads. That confuses them. Why tell them its ok to pee in the house when it really isn't?

Take them out first thing in the morning, after each meal, after they get a drink and every half an hour in between. Also watch for them to be sniffing around. My pup turns in a circle before she pees, unless shes scared. One thing we did with her was watch her until she went then we'd tell her "Good girl, Good potty outside!!!!" We'd give her treats after she was finished. When shed go in the house we'd tell her "bad girl, no potty" and take her right outside even if we knew she was finished.

Its a lot of work potty training a puppy but keep at it. I've read that by 6 months they should be able to understand the difference between peeing in the house and peeing outside.

It's going to be a little harder for her because she actually pad trained them. Her female is already an adult and was pad trained right from the beginning.

Because you pad trained them, it's going to make it a bit more difficult (that's why i am completely against pad training all together), on top of the fact that chi's like any small breed are already harder to housebreak. Get rid of the pee pads all together. They are going to have a lot of accidents but you need to pretty much do what heather said and make sure you pay close attention especially when they go near where the oads used to be. Don't lert them out of your site and take them out often. It's going to take a while, but you can do it as long as you're willing to put the effort into it.
  6. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post

i tried the pee pad things when i first got my dog and it ended up being a huge mistake and she was confused for the first year of her life. i live in an apartment too, so i know your pain, but you really just have to go for walks as often as is necessary. for my small dog, it was probably 6 times when she was young, but now she's fine on 2 or three times.
  7. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Crystal520 View Post
    ......I have finally had enough of the pee pee pads!!!

I am going to walk both of them as much as possible to try and housebreak them (I will still have a pee pad down in the bathroom just in case) but does anyone have any other tips???

I feel a little bad about it because it's still so cold out and they are so small.

P.S. We live in a apartment on the 2nd floor.

When our dog was a puppy, 8yrs ago , we hung her leash by the door. We taught her to grab it and bring it to us everytime she needed to go outside. It was AWESOME as we lived in an apartment, too.

We will be getting our new puppy on Saturday, we will be teaching her the same way.
  8. Senior Member
    Sorry I didn't know the dogs were already adults. I would assume that retraining them would be just about the same as training them in the first place.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    Quote Originally Posted by JRalston View Post
    When our dog was a puppy, 8yrs ago , we hung her leash by the door. We taught her to grab it and bring it to us everytime she needed to go outside. It was AWESOME as we lived in an apartment, too.

We will be getting our new puppy on Saturday, we will be teaching her the same way.
    That is awesome, I wish we could teach our dog to do that! How'd you train them?
  10. ------------------
    ------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by s. rosa View Post
    That is awesome, I wish we could teach our dog to do that! How'd you train them?
    Everytime, before we took her outside, we would stand by the door and rattle her leash. We would say "Get your Leash." At first, we would put it in her mouth and then praise her for it. Little by little she started to learn We were very consistent and did this EVERYTIME we took her outside. After a while, she would bring it to us when she needed to go out instead of us just taking her out at regular intervals.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast