Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you do with a dog that shreds everything?

1. Senior Member

Bang Head What do you do with a dog that shreds everything?

Advertisements
    My dog has shredded everything. I can't keep anything for her. I give her good toys, they're gone. She shreds and attempts to ingest them. I keep her in her crate, where I HAD a bed and blanket in there for her. I give her rawhides before I go anywhere so she has something to chew on. Apparently it's not enough. Because she shredded the bed and blanket. Now I have nothing for her to lay on.
    I don't know what to do! I'm out of toys, and things for her. I'm tired of spending tons of money on her just for it to last a day. Will she grow out of this?
    Please don't flame me. I'm very frustrated right now b/c I just bought that bed and now it's in pieces. I feel bad b/c she now has to lay on the plastic bottom of the crate.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  2. Senior Member
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

If she shreds the beds and blankets, don't give her any. Don't buy her regular dogs toys, her shredding and eating them is dangerous. Heavy duty Kongs, Large nylabones for heavy chewers, tuffies stuffed toys are the only one you should even consider getting and only compressed rawhides for heavy chewers if you're going to give her rawhides.

Stormy ate her bedding, so she has none in her crate. She shreds toys, so she only has toys meant for heavy shewers. It's not hard, you just have to get the right things for them. It's more of a safety issue than anything.
  4. Senior Member
    All right. I had a nice Kong, but it got stolen. Looks like I'm going to Petco tomorrow.
    Thank you.
    I'm just so frustrated with her. I've spent endless resources on her. So much more than I've had to do for any other dog. Idk why she's so problematic.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  5. Counting down the days...
    Counting down the days...
    My dog is the same way, and he is 3 years old now. Nothing lasts, although he is a little better than he used to be. I can only buy him very heavy duty toys, as mentioned above, but often even the ones that say "indestructible! big breed tested!" last only an hour or so. I'm sorry you are having this problem, it is very frustrating! Hopefully she gets better with time!
  6. Senior Member
    my dog will eat anything and everything. and he's two. he no longer has a bed in his crate because he chewed two of them up! and he also ate my down comforter while i was sleeping. he eats cell phones, credit cards and clothing. oh ya and shoes. think Marley and Me!
    The best thing I ever bought him was a big bone for the butcher at the supermaket. It only cost me $3 and he still has it (I bought it before xmas). They're cow bones and much harder for dogs to chew through, and they're cheap! It occupys him and keeps him out of trouble, just make sure to boil it first!!!!!!! I've also heard you can microwave it, never tried that though. The raw meat on the bone will make their stomach upset. It sounds really gross, but if you're anything like me, you're to the point where you'll do anything!
    DB: you make me completely happy and whole hun. you're my better half. i enjoy every second i get with you
    i've found my better half
  7. Senior Member
    I hope so too! She didn't used to destroy toys and stuff, then she discovered that stuff came out. Since then, nothing lasts.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  8. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kole520 View Post
    my dog will eat anything and everything. and he's two. he no longer has a bed in his crate because he chewed two of them up! and he also ate my down comforter while i was sleeping. he eats cell phones, credit cards and clothing. oh ya and shoes. think Marley and Me!
    The best thing I ever bought him was a big bone for the butcher at the supermaket. It only cost me $3 and he still has it (I bought it before xmas). They're cow bones and much harder for dogs to chew through, and they're cheap! It occupys him and keeps him out of trouble, just make sure to boil it first!!!!!!! I've also heard you can microwave it, never tried that though. The raw meat on the bone will make their stomach upset. It sounds really gross, but if you're anything like me, you're to the point where you'll do anything!
    That sounds like an excellent idea. I had a big bone, but that along with my kong ball, disappeared off of my back porch.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

if she is bored, she will have more destructive behaviors. Is she going on a lot of walks and does she have a lot of interaction with you? If she is tired, she wont have energy to shred everything to pieces.
  10. Senior Member
    I don't always have time to take her on walks. And I give her stuff to do while she's in the crate. Stuff to destroy. By now I'd think she'd have figured out I don't want her chewing on these things!
    =
    HE'S HOME!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast