Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: declawing cats

1. Senior Member

declawing cats

Advertisements
    We've been considering declawing our kitten. He just turned 6 months. how awful is it for them? Are their paws sore for along time? Is it Expensive?
  2. Armylove
    Its very awful, and very painfull for them. I volunteer at the pound here, and I would never put my cat through that.

Personally I think its cruel. They only declaw the front paws normally, which can leave their back paws for them to get you with.

Honestly in most cases that have been aroudn with cats or kittens that have been declawed, its caused them to be more hostile, and aggressive because you are taking away their only defense against certain things. Which can cause them to bite more.

I dont know its up to you. IMO I think its cruel and normally necessary.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    If he is going to be an outdoor cat, I would HIGHLY suggest against it. Either way, I am against it for personal reasons, but to each their own.

There are a couple of different procedures they use and all of them are painful. I am unsure about the cost.

Have you tried the soft claws? We got our cats from craigslist and they were very feisty, but after the soft claws, they can't scratch Riley, and are almost to the point were they realize their claws aren't doing anything, so don't scratch very often now at all.

Good luck with whatever decision you make, just make sure it's an informed one!
  4. Senior Member
    We do have soft paws and they dont stay on. Im not sure what Im doing wrong. I fill it half way with the glue like it says and stick it on his claw. the longest one has been on for about 3 1/2 weeks all the others fell off within the first week. I won't declaw him if its going to be very painful for him. Its not about him its about my furniture. I havn't really looked into it I just asked here first. My kitty can keep his claws.
  5. Armylove
    Search for some things you can put on your furniture to help it. Get a scratching post for the kitty. And everytime you see it going on the furniture to scratch its paws, put it on the scratching post. It will eventually learn that its not suppose to scratch furniture, and only suppose to scratch the post.

They also sell cardboard things you put on the flood that they can use.

Make sure to keep their nails clipped regularly and keep up with the soft claws and see how all that goes.
  6. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by heather
    We do have soft paws and they dont stay on. Im not sure what Im doing wrong. I fill it half way with the glue like it says and stick it on his claw. the longest one has been on for about 3 1/2 weeks all the others fell off within the first week. I won't declaw him if its going to be very painful for him. Its not about him its about my furniture. I havn't really looked into it I just asked here first. My kitty can keep his claws.

Do you cut their claws first? You have to cut the claws or else they will just fall off right away or as soon as the claws grow out a little bit. Also, we hold our guys down for a couple of minutes to wait for the glue to set. Make sure you push them all the way on too. It takes a while (about an hour) for us to cut their nails, get them on, wait for them to dry, etc, but they stay on for about 3 weeks, so its worth it!
  7. Armylove
  8. Armylove
    Get a couple and place them around the house
  9. Senior Member
    I do clip his nails then put them on. I don't wait to long to let to him go after Im done. He hates it and tries to bite me so I have to wrap him in a towel. Its really hard. hopefully he'll get used to it. Im looking for some that are cheaper then petsmart. We've almost gone through a set of 40 and it's only been about a month.
  10. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marnie

ya he does need something like that
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast