Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me I didn't do something bad to my dog?

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Please tell me I didn't do something bad to my dog?

Advertisements
    Last weekend we went to Banfield in Petsmart to get the dogs heartworm prevention meds and their Advantix. Stormy weighs 70lbs but they gave us the heartworm and flea treatment for dogs UP TO 50lbs (they often screw up the weight even thought we tell them the correct weight and my husband is too much of a typical man to think to check them. I should have known to check them myself). I didn't realize it until I was about to put the flea treatment on Stormy and saw the tube was too small and then read it. I had already given her the heartworm med though (went back and checked the package), which was a considerably insufficient dose for her weight. We were a little concerned because we are VERY on top of keeping them current on all of that. Tony asked them and they said it was safe to go ahead and give her the correct dosage now (5 or 6 days later). We did give her the correct dosage today and she is acting fine and all of that, but I wanted to ask to make sure it is in fact safe because I know there are knowledgable people here who will know better then the dipshits at this banfield most of the time.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    I would just watch for skin irritation. Maybe call another vet to check just in case?
  3. Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns
    Keep Calm and Ride Unicorns

From what I understand from having dogs, skin irritation is the first sign of a problem. Maybe Jenny will see this and can answer?
  4. Senior Member
    Did you put two tubes on her? One for 50lb and one for the 70lb?
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    Did you put two tubes on her? One for 50lb and one for the 70lb?

The way I explained my innitial post was confusing. I mentioned the flea treatment completely unncessarily. I was asking about the Heartworm prevention. She had the one for up to 50lbs last week and we were told it was safe to give her the correct dose today.
  6. Senior Member
    What heart worm med does she take?

If it would have been the flea one, I would tell you she's OK because you can treat up to once a week in heavy infestations (not always recommended, but can be done.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    What heart worm med does she take?

If it would have been the flea one, I would tell you she's OK because you can treat up to once a week in heavy infestations (not always recommended, but can be done.
    They give us Worm shield for her.
  8. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

They told my husband it was perfectly safe, but now I'm second guessing giving it to her Like I said, she is acting fine, but I still worry. I love my dogs.
  9. Senior Member
    It's an Ivermectin product. She should be ok, but you want to watch for dialated pupils, excessive drooling, stumbling, vomiting or tremors. If ANY of these occur, take her into the ER vet because that means she is toxic. But...because she is healthy, she should be just fine. Keep an eye on her though.
  10. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

having worked in a research lab that tested all kinds of products, including these types of meds for dogs, i know that they are tested at dosages SIGNIFICANTLY greater than the max dose for safety reasons. if you were advised to redose, & she's been fine, you are fine.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast