Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: crate/kennel size?

1. Senior Member

crate/kennel size?

Advertisements
    I'm planning on getting a dog later this year--a small one, probably a Shih Tzu or a Bichon if I have my way. I'm planning on going through a breed rescue and getting an older dog, probably somewhere in range of 3-7 years. Eventually, of course, I would like to be able to let the dog roam freely in my apartment while I'm gone, but until I know him or her well enough to trust that that will be okay, I will confine them while I'm gone. My question is, for an older dog that is already housebroken, is it best to leave them in a crate that is just their size or a large kennel or even a doggy playpen type thing? I know with crate training you are supposed to use one that is only just big enough, but that has to do with housebreaking, right? So if the dog is older and already housebroken, would it be better to have them in a very large space where they can move around? Or would a smaller crate still be preferable?

Thanks!
  2. Am
    I don't have a professional opinion on this but our dog was almost two when we moved here. Before that, he was an outside dog but came in occasionally and was housebroken. His just-big-enough crate has worked just fine for us. He's FINALLY crate trained and will go there on command. HTH.
  3. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I know that they say that the dog crate should be just big enough for the dog to lay down in and stand up and turn around in but I bought one of the biggest crates I could find for my mini-doxie

It's her "bedroom"!
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I want a pet. I wish our landlord would have approved of it.
  5. Am
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    I know that they say that the dog crate should be just big enough for the dog to lay down in and stand up and turn around in but I bought one of the biggest crates I could find for my mini-doxie

It's her "bedroom"!
    My sister bought one of the smallest crates she could find for her 3 lb yorkie. The thing is still HUGE for the dog. Instead of "crate" or "kennel", she says "Go to your room!" when the pup gets in trouble.
  6. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I have this desire to get a bunch of cardboard and transform the crate into a pink princess castle complete with turrets and glitter. My husband even says it would be a good idea!!
  7. Am
    GO TO YOUR CASTLE!
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I think I'd still get the smaller kind. Even though my pup is potty trained now, I think she'd hurt herself if we gave her too much room. I've read that it eases anxiety for dogs to be in confined places, since it's sort of like a den. I'm no expert though... I might be off on that idea.
  9. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    We still confine our dog when we're gone. We just bought two baby gates and gated her into the kitchen. There she has enough room to play and chew her bones, and has her water dish, so I don't feel bad about leaving here there during class like I would if she were in her kennel, which is just big enough for her. She sleeps there at night still. I'm not sure about the size of the kennel ? because we've always had one just big enough.