Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Big dog owners HALP!

1. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.

Big dog owners HALP!

Advertisements
    We got our dog Kuna through a rescue group that deals with huskies and malamutes here in New Mexico. He had been kept in a shelter for over a month and had been completely neglected by his former owners. The rescue called us 2 days before he was going to be put down. We drove 4 hours, fell in love, and took him home with us. That was in August, and he's doing great now.

Well...last night DH got an email from the rescue group again. There is a family here in our town who's been fostering a husky named Ein for a few months, but the woman is 38 weeks preggers, with a 15 month old already, and they need to find a new home for him ASAP.

So, I have a couple of questions coz I've never had 2 dogs before. How much do you spend for food a month on them? Do you let them out one at a time to go potty? Do you have to constantly keep and eye on both of them?

I feel bad for the family, and for the dog, but I'm just worried about the added stress of another pupper.
    omnomnommynom
  2. Senior Member
    Well I have one (kind of) big dog. She's a boxer mix.
    She definitely requires a careful eye. She will chew the house apart. No joke.
    Not sure how much I spend on food, I'm bad at keeping track.
    =
    HE'S HOME!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Both of my dogs go out back to potty together. Then they run laps around the trees, chew on a branch or two, chase each other again, then come inside. When we first got the 2nd dog, I would only allow them out there with me watching. It has been a couple weeks so I trust them together now.
    I spend double the food, so about $80 a month, a 35lb bag of the kind of food I buy is $38. I buy their heartworm and flea meds from Canada so I save money there. I spend $140, for both dogs, every six months for that. They are both fixed and up to date on vax so no extra there. HTH
  4. The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    The grass is greener where it gets watered.
    Completely depends on the temperament of both dogs. You can have two dogs that have no problems with each other, and you can have two dogs that fight, there are a lot of important factors there.

First, I'm assuming that since both are rescues, they're both fixed, this is important. If they aren't, I would suggest getting that done asap, just since you don't know the background of the other dog, how your dog is going to react, etc.

I would also recommend letting the two get together as much as possible before you bring this new dog into your home. Animals are territorial, and if your dog feels threatened by the new dog, you can expect fights.

As far as cost, I would estimate and budget for triple what you're spending now. Reason I say triple and not double is that vet bills aren't cheap, and if you can financially put some money away, it will help in the event of an emergency with either dog and won't be so stressful if you go to the vet and have to leave a $300 deposit.

Hope that helps a little bit
    “In my world, everyone's a pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies!” ― Dr. Seuss
  5. Senior Member
    We had 3 dogs at once, back when I was still in FL.

We had a Shepard, a Ridgeback, and a Mutt.

Clean up was tough, and the Ridgeback and Mutt would fight sometimes (both were female)... (it got so bad one day that the entire house smelled like a slaughter house from all of the blood. I was home by myself with them, and couldn't pull them apart.)

We had a huge backyard, and all 3 of them would go out to play, but again, the Ridgeback and Mutt would sometimes fight out there too.

As for food... we went through a large bag about every 3 weeks or so. My dad had a huge planter pot thingie for them to eat out of so all 3 of them could fit around it.
  6. Loving Life in Paradise!
    Loving Life in Paradise!
    Blog Entries
    Depends on what I feed them. When it's Iams, it's about $42/mo plus treats. When it's the good stuff from the pet store, it's over $100/mo plus treats.

For a while, I had to take them out separate because one always tried to pee on the other.

Right now though, I take them out on leash 4+ times a day, at the same time.

They play rough sometimes, but other than the extra cost and the extra fur, it's no different having two than having 1.
  7. Senior Member
    For us, we spend 120 per month on food, but feed a super high end kibble and canned foods mixed in. That is for two dogs one weighs 72lbs and the other weighs 85lbs. Our boys get along great most of the time. But there are always those little squabbles from time to time. I have just learned if they are going at it, get something between them that is not a part of my body and as soon as they are separated they almost forget it happened.

We let them out together, they sleep together on the same pad on the floor in our bedroom, and they eat next to each other with about five feet of room between their bowl stands. If I know my older boy is not feeling well, like when he had his hematoma surgery, I will watch them extra closely to make sure he doesn't snap at the younger one, but other than that they are fine. We did bring Tito home at 8 weeks though, so Sampson took him in like his own little pup. Sampson is very protective of Tito, and even will try to herd him away from danger while we are out running around. Despite the every once in a while "dog argument" between them, things run pretty smoothly for us.

As for vet costs, we have a separate account for dog savings money so that we are backed up in case some sort of accident happens or one needs care. We put some per month in, and that adds up to quite a bit and covers the boys if anything happens. Each dog has an annual exam, and heart worm and flea medication monthly. It does add up to quite a bit of money, but the boys are worth it.
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i spend about $50-$60 a month on food. i have a great dane and a cocker spaniel. they get along great but i do always watch them when they're outside together because of their size difference and because the dane can get a little rough with the cocker out in the yard.

i would see how they do with each other and for a while always be outside with them and maybe work your way up to letting them out with you.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  9. I got all this, and personality too.
    I got all this, and personality too.
    Thanks for all the responses. We're going to meet up with her on Thursday at the park and walk them around together and see how they do.
    omnomnommynom