Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: anyone have a st. bernard

1. Regular Member

Question anyone have a st. bernard

Advertisements
    i'm about to buy my kids one...he's 9 wks old....just wanted to see if anyone has one...any advice....pros' and cons of having one...tia....
  2. Senior Member
    No, but good luck with the puppy!! That is a dog I would LOVE to own....someday...when I have enough house. LOL
  3. Hooked on the sauce
    Hooked on the sauce
    Watch Beethoven.

Those are awesome huge dogs but DROOLERS!!!
  4. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

my neighbors back home have a female st bernard. they rescued her from the pound. their dd was fairly young when they got her & she did really well with the kids.

obvioulsy, they are massive. molly's bowls are more like buckets than bowls. they actually put clear plexiglass on the wall behind her bowls to prevent splashback from staining the wall! st bernard's drool. with such a big dog, training will be key. having that much dog get rowdy & disobey you is not a good thing. make sure you have enough space for the dog.

finally, before you buy, try rescuing or adopting.
  5. I'm so Blessed
    I'm so Blessed
    Blog Entries
    I had one when I was a kid loved him so much.
  6. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    i'm sorry but you're about to by one and looking for pro's and con's? did you do research first before choosing that breed? or are you asking just for opinions?

just saw them on Dogs 101 tonight though! they suggest ALWAYS having a drool rag!

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  7. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the drooling - I worked with someone who's family raised / bred St. Bernards (I can't remember which) and she told me that there are dry-mouth breeds of SB's available!! You might want to look into it.

My cousin had an SB and Bernie was the most adorable, gentle dog ever. Absolutely huge but so sweet. Unfortunately, Bernie got cancer in his leg and had to be put down; with a dog that large, amputation is not an option because they can't function afterwards - that was what we were told by the vet.

If you can get a dry-mouth SB, I highly recommend it. I had a pit bull / german shepherd and holy cow! the drool!! LOL!! Cassidy would sit there panting and then if something caught his attention to turn his head - it was like a sprinkler! Dogs can drool a tremendous amount!!
  8. Regular Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cricketswife View Post
    i'm sorry but you're about to by one and looking for pro's and con's? did you do research first before choosing that breed? or are you asking just for opinions?

just saw them on Dogs 101 tonight though! they suggest ALWAYS having a drool rag!
    just opinions....i googled them....found out some good info...but wanted to see if anyone had one or has had one...what they liked didn't like....just getting the 411 on it...
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Songtan Sally View Post
    Regarding the drooling - I worked with someone who's family raised / bred St. Bernards (I can't remember which) and she told me that there are dry-mouth breeds of SB's available!! You might want to look into it.

My cousin had an SB and Bernie was the most adorable, gentle dog ever. Absolutely huge but so sweet. Unfortunately, Bernie got cancer in his leg and had to be put down; with a dog that large, amputation is not an option because they can't function afterwards - that was what we were told by the vet.

If you can get a dry-mouth SB, I highly recommend it. I had a pit bull / german shepherd and holy cow! the drool!! LOL!! Cassidy would sit there panting and then if something caught his attention to turn his head - it was like a sprinkler! Dogs can drool a tremendous amount!!

my grandparents had a "dry mouth" st. bernard from a breeder. he drooled like mad.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones
  10. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel
    we had on up until about 5 years ago when she died of a heart attack, I think. Best dog I ever had. Very friendly and loved kids and other animals. The only time she ever drooled was when we got another kitten and we thought it was funny, because she never drooled. Large breed dogs have a tendency for hip problems and she was no exception. She had trouble getting up from the floor at times, but never was diagnosed with hip displasia. They don't really need a lot of space to run like people would think, because they tend to not be very active. That was mine though, so maybe a male might be different.