Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: How do I break her of this?

1. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Question How do I break her of this?

Advertisements
    Stormy sticks her nose into everyones crotch and/or butt. It irritates me, but it irritates me more when she's doing it to strangers

I tell her no and push her away when she does it to me, so does my husband. I pull her away and tell her no when she does it to strangers, but she still does it.
  2. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Blog Entries
    my dogs do that sometimes too.. i guess just keep telling them no & slapping their face a little

at least your dog isn't humping company's legs! auhhhh.. so embarresing!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    They address this a lot on "It's Me Or The Dog" because it is one of the those behaviors a lot of people let dogs get away with under the defense of "that's just what dogs do". It CAN be broken. I can't remember the step by step on what Victoria (trainer on the show) uses, but if you look around a bit I'm sure you can find it either online or in an episode of the show. Please do not, though, "slap her face a little"
  4. Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    They address this a lot on "It's Me Or The Dog" because it is one of the those behaviors a lot of people let dogs get away with under the defense of "that's just what dogs do". It CAN be broken. I can't remember the step by step on what Victoria (trainer on the show) uses, but if you look around a bit I'm sure you can find it either online or in an episode of the show. Please do not, though, "slap her face a little"
    I was gonna mention "It's Me or the Dog" too! I'm not sure if she's used it for this kind of situation, but one thing she uses a lot is the "leave it" command. She teaches the command using treats, but then applies it to a lot of different situations. Seems like maybe that could be helpful in this case?
  5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I need to check out that show, thanks! Now that my dog is comfortable enough to act like a real dog (she's a rescue) we need to start addressing some of those behaviors. Right now I just say "Hey, that's inappropriate..." like she has any idea wtf I'm saying.
  6. Senior Member
    Sandee rarely does that. If she does I tell her No firmly and thats usually good enough. Does she know the leave it command? I use that universally for anything I want Sandee to leave alone.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Heather View Post
    Sandee rarely does that. If she does I tell her No firmly and thats usually good enough. Does she know the leave it command? I use that universally for anything I want Sandee to leave alone.
    Yah, she knows leave it. She does stop when I tell her to, that's not the issue, I just don't want her doing it at all
  8. Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    Darkly Dreaming Dexter
    What's works best for our pets is "stepping in between" of the dog's nature with our commands.

You have to watch your dogs behavior leading up to the "greeting" - and teach them a command that will redirect their urge (trial and error - give small praise or treats to do this, takes extra time but it pays off).
    Once they know that "sppsss" or "neeh" (whatever you want - just use the same thing) goes along with "not allowed to do ___" then it becomes more habitual.
    (like - to teach them you'd encourage the action - and then repeat your command until they stop on their own. Maybe show them what the command means by placing your hand on their neck to let them know it's not acceptable to encourage them to stop. Then when they DO stop - treat/praise them...repeat.)

Some dogs will learn outright what they can/cannot do - others will most often need the command. Either way, this is the method that's worked best for us with everything that's been trained.

I think, though, that what's made the biggest difference with our dog is use taking a few hours - purely dedicated - to just teaching __ command. Like sit, shake, etc...repitition really drives it home and sometimes you can teach the comman/action in just a few hours.

It took me a weekend to train our dog with his behavior issues - paws on the floor, no sniffing, no nipping hte kids, sitting, not being allowed to enter the kid's rooms ,etc etc...toerh things like bad chewing or barking habit takes longer - but that short list I managed in a weekend.
  9. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Sponge View Post
    What's works best for our pets is "stepping in between" of the dog's nature with our commands.

You have to watch your dogs behavior leading up to the "greeting" - and teach them a command that will redirect their urge (trial and error - give small praise or treats to do this, takes extra time but it pays off).
    Once they know that "sppsss" or "neeh" (whatever you want - just use the same thing) goes along with "not allowed to do ___" then it becomes more habitual.
    (like - to teach them you'd encourage the action - and then repeat your command until they stop on their own. Maybe show them what the command means by placing your hand on their neck to let them know it's not acceptable to encourage them to stop. Then when they DO stop - treat/praise them...repeat.)

Some dogs will learn outright what they can/cannot do - others will most often need the command. Either way, this is the method that's worked best for us with everything that's been trained.

I think, though, that what's made the biggest difference with our dog is use taking a few hours - purely dedicated - to just teaching __ command. Like sit, shake, etc...repitition really drives it home and sometimes you can teach the comman/action in just a few hours.

It took me a weekend to train our dog with his behavior issues - paws on the floor, no sniffing, no nipping hte kids, sitting, not being allowed to enter the kid's rooms ,etc etc...toerh things like bad chewing or barking habit takes longer - but that short list I managed in a weekend.

That's pretty much how I've handled everything with my dogs

Luckily that's really her only bad habbit All of the basic commands and other behaviors like chewing or barking I don't have an issue with at all. She is still only 9 months, so I'm sure it wont be too hard to break her once I take time to specifically address that issue itself.