Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point should I scold her?

1. Senior Member

At what point should I scold her?

Advertisements
    Sandee is getting really bad about chewing things up. Shes 10 months old now. In the past I've always just cleaned up what ever it was she chewed and said it was our fault for leaving it out. If I cought her in the act I'd tell her "NO!" and take it away. Now shes starting to go get things to chew up. She pulls tissue after tissue out of the trash. She gets things off the coffee table. She goes in the kids rooms and chews up their stuff. She even chewed up every door stopper in the house. Tonight I knew I was going to dose off on the couch so I went around and put away anything I thought she might try to get. She was going to town chewing on one of her own toys when I fell asleep. 20 minutes later I woke up to find her chewing my daughters $10 hair brush that she took off the bathroom counter. I'm not going to crate her all day (because I don't see how that will solve the problem) nor can I leash her to me anymore. Spraying bitter apple would be crazy. I'd have to spray every single thing in the house. Shes got several toys I put out at different times. Some I stuff with treats, others she just loves to chew on.

How can I teach her to chew only her toys?
  2. Am
    Sternly tell her no. Crate her for a few. Reward her when she chews on toys.

Maybe she's bored and needs to be exercised?

3. MilitarySOS Jewel
    MilitarySOS Jewel

Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaHokie View Post

Agree

We had the same issue with Rubes, and the only thing I think that really helped her was the very positive reinforcement when she would chew on her toys.
  4. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    You have to be consistent and tell her no, take it away from her, bop her on the butt and put her in her "time out" place. When she plays with her own toys, call her a good girl and give her lots of praise.

Also, I think it's best to keep the same kind of toys around for her. If she chews up a toy... get her one that looks exactly like the one she chewed up, that way she understands that those are HER toys. She might be having a problem distinguishing between what's okay to chew on and what's not.
  5. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!

I wouldn't crate her. If you crate her when she's bad, then she's going to associate her crate with being punished. You want her to like her crate and enjoy being in there.
  6. Senior Member
    I normally tell her shes a good girl for chewing her own toys but I have gotten away from giving her treats a zillion times a day. Maybe she still needs that.

I'm not sure needs more exercise. I play with her several times a day usually for 15 to 20 minutes each time. We can't go on walks. Highs below freezing for several months is to cold for me to be out trying to walk the dog!
  7. It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
    How old is she? Maybe you can take her to some puppy training classes.
  8. Senior Member
    Shes 10 months. We did take her to puppy training classes. Huge waste of $100. I do better training her at home for free.
  9. Account Closed
    Account Closed

TOTALLY AGREE more exercise. Puppy classes are more for the socialization not so much what your puppy learns. It's hard to train a puppy with all those distractions.We normally took what we were taught and did the exercises at home.

Good Luck
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by mraynee88 View Post
    I wouldn't crate her. If you crate her when she's bad, then she's going to associate her crate with being punished. You want her to like her crate and enjoy being in there.
    Eh, I don't believe that, personally. I crate my dogs when they are bad and they still like to nap in there during the day on their own and they go in willing when we are leaving the house and at night.

The reason she is still doing it so much is because you're not scolding her. Right from day 1 with my dogs if they start to chew on something they arent supposed to I take it away and say "no" loudly and firmly. If they go to bite like a chair leg or something like that I push their face away from it and say no the same way. None of my dogs have ever chewed anything up after they were a few months old, so i assume it works since I've had all different sizes and breeds of dogs

Stormy is 9 months and she doesn't touch anything but her toys and compressed rawhides to chew on.

Oh, and whole time I'm teaching them not to chew on things I don't allow them access to any of the bedrooms or bathrooms. They are only allowed in the common areas until I know I can trust them. Emmie does still have a thing for dirty underwear and anything paper-like (used breast pads, dirty tissues, used toilet paper) though, so she isn't allowed in the bathrooms alone.

ETA: When I would take a nap while I was training them and housebreaking them I would crate them so they didn't get into anything Heck, I still do sometimes and they really don't mind.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast