Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Coming into heat?

1. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Coming into heat?

Advertisements
    What are the signs for a dog coming into their first heat? My beagle puppy is almost 6 months old. We are getting her fixed, but we were hoping to wait until we get our tax return. She's been acting funny lately, and I was thinking she might be getting ready to go into heat.

I can't tell if she's starting to swell or if it's just in my head because I'm worried about it. Our neighbors dog is in heat, and I was wondering if that would have any effect on when my dog would start? I'd ask her, but she's out of town this weekend.
  2. Looking for the sunshine...
    Looking for the sunshine...

I knew when my female chihuahua was "coming" into heat was when she started my male's head!

But 6 mos is about the age.
  3. Banned
    Banned
    If she is going into heat, I would suggest waiting it out/waiting on your tax returns anyway - there are added issues (and added costs) that come in spaying a female in heat. Look on the bright side, at least she's not a cat (the yowling).
  4. Senior Member
    Usually she will start licking herself alot, be kinda whiney, and her vulva will swell. She will also have some discharge.
  5. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    The first sign of a female coming into heat is often swelling of the Vulva. This swelling can occur a week before bleeding, or the day before. Other signs of heat are behavioral changes, your dog may start to hump other dogs, or pups or even your leg. She may also begin to lick her self a lot.

You can't get her spayed when she is in heat. And usually recommended to do so before her first heat.

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!