Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cat Question

1. Country Girl
    Country Girl

Cat Question

Advertisements
    Anyone know anything about cats sucking on things?

My fiance's cat kneads and sucks on our bathrobes and yesterday I caught her sucking on a stuffed animal.

I've never seen a cat do this.
  2. Banned
    Banned
    Lots of kitties carry this habit throughout their lives. A common school of thought is it is a holdover from kittenhood. There's really no problem indicated by it.
  3. Country Girl
    Country Girl
    I'm not worried about her, she doesn't hurt anything by doing it. It is just odd. Thanks for the info.
  4. Senior Member
    It's not a problem, it's just a comfort thing sometimes it's because a cat was taken from it's mom too soon. My cat sucks on my shirts when he is sleepy or stressed. A friend of mine has my cat's sister, she sucks on her earlobes!! We got Bubba at 4 weeks from animal control, he was found with his brothers and sisters and no mama.
  5. Country Girl
    Country Girl
    I don't know when Rajah was taken from her mom. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened too soon though.

Rajah's kittens stayed with her for thirteen weeks before we even started looking for homes for them. Two of her kittens, a male and a female belong to my mother. Recently the female has started sucking on the male. If it is a comfort thing I guess it makes sense. Molly doesn't hurt Will and he doesn't seem to mind it so we aren't too worried. Vet said it wasn't something to worry over.
  6. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caltanan View Post
    I don't know when Rajah was taken from her mom. It wouldn't surprise me if it happened too soon though.

Rajah's kittens stayed with her for thirteen weeks before we even started looking for homes for them. Two of her kittens, a male and a female belong to my mother. Recently the female has started sucking on the male. If it is a comfort thing I guess it makes sense. Molly doesn't hurt Will and he doesn't seem to mind it so we aren't too worried. Vet said it wasn't something to worry over.

We have a Raj too - his name is Rajnish.
    Honestly, I have had cats that had this habit regardless of what age they were separated from their mother at. I liken it to thumb sucking in children - some never do it, some stop sooner than others and some carry the habit all their lives.
  7. surly curmudgeon
    surly curmudgeon
    Yep, I've had some cats who do that, but most don't. Just like some kids suck their thumbs as babies/toddlers, some *older* children suck their thumbs, and others just don't.
    When you can't run anymore, you crawl, and when you can't do that, well… Yeah, you know the rest.
  8. Country Girl
    Country Girl
    Quote Originally Posted by Miss B Hav'n View Post
    We have a Raj too - his name is Rajnish.
    Honestly, I have had cats that had this habit regardless of what age they were separated from their mother at. I liken it to thumb sucking in children - some never do it, some stop sooner than others and some carry the habit all their lives.
    My old cat never had any problems, no weird habits, nothing. Since then I've had one that ate fabric, one that chews cords (or did until I made them taste like sour apple) and one that sucks. The last three all entered my life in the last year. I consider it a crash course in strange pet habits.
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by USCGBoxerMom View Post
    It's not a problem, it's just a comfort thing sometimes it's because a cat was taken from it's mom too soon. My cat sucks on my shirts when he is sleepy or stressed. A friend of mine has my cat's sister, she sucks on her earlobes!! We got Bubba at 4 weeks from animal control, he was found with his brothers and sisters and no mama.
    yep. my cousin's cat would suck on her tale. we're pretty sure she was prematurely weaned.
  10. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

My sister had a rescue cat (she got her as a kitten from a rescue) who sucked on one of my nephews stuffed animals her whole life (she was put down after being really sick a few months back ).
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast