Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Any ideas?

1. Senior Member

Question Any ideas?

Advertisements
    So we rescued a dog. A one year old dachshund. Full sized not a mini. Anyway, he has this thing with scratching at our carpet. Now we live in base housing and it is crap housing that will be getting torn down in less than 6 months (if they are on schedule still). And the carpet is crappy shag with no padding and easily able to be pulled apart.

Either way, I don't want him to do this regardless of whose carpet and the type of carpet. Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do to stop him from digging and stuff into the carpet to make bare spots in it?
  2. ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    ..is brought to you by the letters W.T.F.!
    I've heard the sour apple stuff or cayenne[if you don't have kids, don't want them getting into it]

Loves her Beautiful Wifey, Liegh.

KennyB = Greatness!
  3. Banned
    Banned
    Digging is instinctual for that breed, they are bred to hunt by digging into burrows. One way to cut back any unwanted behavior is giving the dog plenty of exercise - logic there being that a tired dog has less energy to engage in the unwanted behavior and exercise that uses the mind AND body reduces the "boredom" induced bad behavior.
    Use of a squirt bottle, rattle can, etc when you catch him in the act is a great way to go. Close supervision will allow you to see the cues that he is going to dig - interrupting the behavior before he has a chance to get fixated on the digging will go a long way. I would attack it fairly hard in so much that he is allowed to be loose in the home only when someone is going to be able to give 100% consistent enforcment of the no dig policy. When that is not possible, he can rest in his crate. This isn't to be mean or punish him - in fact, it will make the whole thing easier on him because you know that he will not "get away with" digging even once which will make the learning that much faster. If you approach it that way the learning time will be cut and he will get the idea that he is not allowed to dig in the house.
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    We had a dauchshund, and he did the same thing. One the carpet, on the furniture, on the bed.... most of the time he didn't do it hard enough to do any damage, he was just warming up a spot to lay down. However, if he really got into it and was doing it too hard, I would get on to him. Every time he got in trouble, he would run under the couch and hide, so I got a squirt bottle and would spray him with water when he was doing something wrong instead of chasing him.
  5. Senior Member
    Thank you ladies for your advice.

Time to invest in a squirt bottle and to put him in his crate when we are sleeping (I think that is when he does it).

When we are awake he is either play fighting with our weimaraner, outside playing, or snuggling.

Again thank you