Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Has anyone ever owned a larger hound?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Question Has anyone ever owned a larger hound?

Advertisements
    I want a black and tan coonhound. My little dog is cool (she's actually my heart), but I want a second dog, I want a big one, and I like hounds .

2. Senior Member
    Blog Entries

I know people who've have them for hunting.

Posted via Mobile Device
  3. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

You should research the breed to be sure that it will fit into your lifestyle Just because a breed is cute, pretty, big, cool etc. doesn't mean they are the right breed for you. Getting a dog for looks or size, whatever, is a big reason a lot of dogs end up in shelters. Just do some research
  4. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    You should research the breed to be sure that it will fit into your lifestyle Just because a breed is cute, pretty, big, cool etc. doesn't mean they are the right breed for you. Getting a dog for looks or size, whatever, is a big reason a lot of dogs end up in shelters. Just do some research
    Spare me the speech. I HATE pet politics.
  5. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by livetosurf View Post
    Oh god, I wasn't giving you a speach, I was just suggesting you do research because not all breeds will fit into all lifestyles... I was trying to offer some helpful advice. I myself have gotten a breed in the past that absolutely did not fit into our life.
  6. ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    ♥ All You Need Is Love ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by livetosurf View Post
    She gave you great advice. I suggest you listen.

7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post

Agree and it's not a speech...I think it's helpful
  8. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    I've never owned a large hound, but my beagle is a lot more work than I had anticipated. Nothing we couldn't handle, but definitely different from the labs we had growing up. I would say the biggest things with hounds is proper training and a fenced in yard. I've even read that scent hounds can't hear you when they catch a scent. Hopefully other people have more info so you can decide if they're right for you
  9. Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    as an owner of an older small dog, and a younger large dog--well, let's just say i'll never do it again. if buddy were younger and had more pep then maybe. but gwen does a lot of damage to him. i suppose it would be different if i had gotten her as a new puppy. but i don't suggest it. there's just too much that can go wrong.

and i know there are people here who have a large dog and a small dog and do just fine. and i honestly think we'd be fine if we had gwen as a puppy. but right now buddy is on kennel rest for the second time since june and it probably has a lot to do with how gwen plays with him.

If you save one dog you won't change the world--but surely the world will change for that one dog.
    "Anybody who doesn't know what soap tastes like never washed a dog." -Franklin P. Jones