Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: maybe something is wrong w/. cat- ?

1. Amanda LOVES her friends.
    Amanda LOVES her friends.

Neutral maybe something is wrong w/. cat- ?

Advertisements
    I'm not really sure, but she is losing some of her hair- or its just thin from her scratching- I dont know but it doesnt look right- She acts fine, she eats normal, plays good, . . but the backs of her legs and like on her front arms where she bends- She is thin in hair and she is also kind of skinny- =/ Not really, but my dad seems to think she should be bigger- She is *I THINK* almost 3 years old. Fixed, had some shots... ? Dunno.. added pictures to explain what I mean. -
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Proud MSOS wife to: Marinesbabygirl9
    I'm ME, and only me.
    *i need a new siggy, for the new chapter in my life.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/amandapunelli?ref=name
  2. Banned
    Banned
    The second shot is the one that I am most interested in - in that shot, is the very light spot near her tail area bare skin showing through? The flash makes it hard to see in the first shot, but it appears very prevelant in the second.
    Based just on the pictures, I would say that there is enough to warrant a visit to the vet. Cats aren't meant to have hairless spots like that so there is something going on. You mentioned scratching - is she scratching at herself a lot? If so, that can definitely lead to hairless areas. In that situation, the hair loss is a result of whatever is causing the itching/scratching (fleas, allergies, skin issue, etc).
  3. Amanda LOVES her friends.
    it is really THIN hair. . . Even underneath like when she is licking is thin- I dont see her scratch often- But I dont know- She wears a flea collar - but I took it off today because she looks like she is losing hair where is sits - I dont know- Ive never seen flea's on her- But its my parents cat- Not mine. : ( I told my dad, I would take her in if he didnt- because she is a really good cat- . . . & I would be sad if something serious is going on.
    I'm ME, and only me.

4. Senior Member
    She needs to go to the vet. She could have Feline Endocrine Alopecia or hypothyroidism, she could have a flea allergy, be overly stressed, have food issues, have contact dermatitis etc. Cats generally do not loose their hair unless stressed etc.
  5. Amanda LOVES her friends.
    good to know. : ( people do pick on her a lot sometimes. :/ I'm laying the law down now.
    I'm ME, and only me.

6. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGFofJames View Post
    it is really THIN hair. . . Even underneath like when she is licking is thin- I dont see her scratch often- But I dont know- She wears a flea collar - but I took it off today because she looks like she is losing hair where is sits - I dont know- Ive never seen flea's on her- But its my parents cat- Not mine. : ( I told my dad, I would take her in if he didnt- because she is a really good cat- . . . & I would be sad if something serious is going on.
    Flea collars arent very good for them. A topical monthly flea treatment like frontline is better.
  7. I'm Awesome
    I'm Awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGFofJames View Post
    good to know. : ( people do pick on her a lot sometimes. :/ I'm laying the law down now.
    Ummm... I don't think people picking on her is why she is losing her fur... I mean unless people are like throwing her around and beating her... but then that'd be a whole other issue in itself.
  8. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Ummm... I don't think people picking on her is why she is losing her fur... I mean unless people are like throwing her around and beating her... but then that'd be a whole other issue in itself.
    I'm guessing that she thought that was what USCGBoxerMom meant by "stressed".
  9. CAITstoppable
    CAITstoppable
    I would definitely take her to the doctor

http://twitter.com/CLAiken

10. Banned
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Caimbrie View Post
    Flea collars arent very good for them. A topical monthly flea treatment like frontline is better.

In fact, the mention of possible hairloss around the collar may be an indication of where the problem lies....it may very well be a reaction to the chemicals in the collar. Flea collars are nasty things and can wreak havoc with the animal's system. OP, is there any correlation between the collar being put ON and the hair loss starting?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast