Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone have hamsters?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Does anyone have hamsters?

Advertisements
    I bought 2 females yesterday, and I am in love!! They are so cute! 2 sisters, and one is the runt, and is about half the size of the other one. I'm reeeallly protective of the teeny one. Any helpful hints about hamsters in general? Do they ever get affectionate and get better at being held? The little one is all calm and lets me kiss her (last night she screamed when I did it...poor baby prolly thought I was trying to eat her ), but the bigger one is a brat, lol!
  2. I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    I'm an enlisted 6-star General, Air Coast Force Guard
    Blog Entries
    I used to breed hamsters. Just makes sure that before you handle them you've washed your hands. The only time my son got bitten was when he tried to pet the sleeping hamster after eating a peanut butter sandwich. LOL!!
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Rofl!! That's funny, but I bet not to your son, lol!! Yeah, they do appear to be 'chow hounds'. And talk about low maintenance, wow. My food bill for them will be maybe around $30/year I'm guessing. And they don't stink!!
  4. Occasional lurker
    Occasional lurker
    I've had 7 hamsters, I took very good care of mine, we changed bedding weekly, scrubbed cages bi-weekly, socialized them, bought cool toys- I never had luck with my babies, none lived more than a year or so. It broke my heart each time. Henry was my favorite, he was a gold and white long-haired teddy bear.

I've had some that were more friendly then others, but they always came around. It's hard to leave them alone, but the books say to let them explore their cage and environment for 24 hours before playing with them...always seemed to help. Be careful with wheels, get one big enough, I actually saw 2 of my hamsters hurt themselves on a wheel

Good luck with your furballs- can you post pics?

5. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    They POOP every time I hold them!! Nasty. I'll try on the pics. My digital sucks monkey toes, but I'll try...

Ok, here they are:

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...IGGIRLI001.jpg
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b...7/RUNTI001.jpg
    http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b.../RUNTII001.jpg
  6. Senior Member
    We have a hamster. Her name is Lola. She loves to be held and she loves to veggies!
  7. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I do love them already too . I REALLY fell for the runt. I always go for the helpless ones, or the runts, or the ugly ones no one wants, lol...
  8. Formerly "Chels"
    Formerly "Chels"
    Blog Entries
    I use to have a hamster! Aww I was in love...As soon as I move out, I want to get some more...I loved Mine! His name was Gerbert...He only lived for 2 years ...Very short lives..but so sweet...Gerbert wasn't affectionate..he was just a little bitch. Your lucky you got a calm one...

You know what I want...one of those bigger type hamsters...what are they called? I can't remember what they are called
  9. Senior Member
    i have a hamster...hammy...she likes to be held, and can be hand fed(i pick out the peices in her food and give them to her one piece at a time and she will tke it with her hands and eat it.)

she is one year 7 months old, she had times when she was little that she didn't want to be picked up.

she also doesnt walk on all fours, she walks on her back legs with her front legs up kinda like Ratatouille lol

sorry if pic is big
  10. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    I think the bigger ones are called Syrian Hamsters. Mine are dwarfs. And I just now had to separate them. The bigger one had the runt on her back and I think she may have been trying to kill her!! And I'm partial to the runt!! Bad, BAD hamster!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast