Military Significant Others and Spouse Support - MilitarySOS.com

Thread: Rodent ulcer?

1. Account Closed
    Account Closed

Rodent ulcer?

Advertisements
    Anyone familiar with this in cats?

Reefy has ANOTHER sore on his chin... same as last time, but it's much MUCH bigger. It goes all the way along the bottom of his chin and is raised about 1/4 inch. I'm thinking he might have this (this is only from internet searching, not doc suggestion) because this is the third time in about six months that he has had it.

Is anyone familiar with this or could think of another reason why a healthy 10 month old indoor-only cat would continue to get open sores/ulcers on or near his mouth and chin? We do have three other cats, but I'm 99% sure it's not a cat scratch or bite...

I'm debating taking him to the vet tomorrow morning... I don't know what I would do if it's something serious, but at the same time, I don't know if it's also overkill....

TIA!
  2. Senior Member
    It could be a major form of feline acne. Do you feed him or give him water from any kind of plastic dishes? If so, that could possibly be the issue. Of course it could be many other things.
  3. Account Closed
    Account Closed
    Quote Originally Posted by Bridget<3Avery View Post
    It could be a major form of feline acne. Do you feed him or give him water from any kind of plastic dishes? If so, that could possibly be the issue. Of course it could be many other things.
    Thanks for the suggestions! We actually switched their bowls to stainless steel and ceramic the last time this happened, because they thought it might have been that. I took him to the vet and they gave him a steroid shot and said if that doesn't work we'll try antibiotics.